bustedknuckleinc

Forest Closed? No Turkey Hunting?

Looks like with groups only and entering the developed sites.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r3/home/?cid=FSEPRD716261

Group Size Limit - Order Number 03-00-00-20-001

• Entering the Restricted Areas with a “group” in excess of the number specified in any public health order is prohibited
  • The term “group” refers to “any collection, assemblage, cluster, or aggregation of persons.”

Restricted Areas

• New Mexico
    • Carson National Forest
    • Cibola National Forest
    • Gila National Forest
    • Lincoln Natinal Forest
    • Santa Fe National Forest
    • Kiowa National Grassland
  • Arizona
    • Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests
    • Coconino National Forest
    • Coronado National Forest
    • Kaibab National Forest
    • Prescott National Forest
    • Tonto National Forest
  • Oklahoma / Texas
    • Black Kettle & McClellan National Grasslands
    • Rita Blanca National Grasslands

View Full Order 03-00-00-20-001

Developed Recreation Sites Closure - Order Number 03-00-00-20-002

Entering or using a developed recreation site or portion thereof  is prohibited

"Developed recreation site" means an area which has been improved or developed for recreation, as defined in 36 C.F.R. § 261.2.

Restricted Areas

Please see Full Order 03-00-00-20-002

Nobody can enter any part of the forest except emergency people and law enforcement  

I read it as the recommended  ten or less would be allowed.  Primitive sights camping allowed.

In my hunt unit, I drive through a campground to access the hunting area I like. They have the gate locked right off the hwy even though they can just lock out the ground and keep access open through another gate. I called the ranger station to ask why and he said it has to do with the covid. Told me to go across the hwy, its open over there. 

2 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

I read it as the recommended  ten or less would be allowed.  Primitive sights camping allowed.

Good luck with that

Notags is right  just called the ranger station you are allowed in the forest just not in the established sites.  

They've closed the restaurants and bars... if they close the forests and lakes I will commit Harikiri!   I need my social distancing to occur outside of my house with my wife for God's sake!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

They've closed the restaurants and bars... if they close the forests and lakes I will commit Harikiri!   I need my social distancing to occur outside of my house with my wife for God's sake!

Yeah I'm wanting to get momma and the kids out camping or fishing soon.  I've still been working but having 5 kids home and that's had the wife a little frazzled. 

The closure order is not overly clear, but I just called the Flagstaff RD.  The Coconino NF's website spells it out very clearly, too.  Developed campgrounds, day use areas, visitor centers, heritage cites, and some hiking trailheads have been closed.  The rest of the forests are open for hiking and dispersed camping, including the upcoming turkey hunts.  The currently closed forest roads are anticipated to be open by early/mid April, which is standard procedure every year, weather dependent, of course.  And, yes, groups of more than 10 appear to be banned for now.

• Like 2

Uumm,  I meant outside without my wife... does that make me a bad husband?  Don't bother to answer that cause  its not gonna make a poop of difference. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IA Born said:

The closure order is not overly clear, but I just called the Flagstaff RD.  The Coconino NF's website spells it out very clearly, too.  Developed campgrounds, day use areas, visitor centers, heritage cites, and some hiking trailheads have been closed.  The rest of the forests are open for hiking and dispersed camping, including the upcoming turkey hunts.  The currently closed forest roads are anticipated to be open by early/mid April, which is standard procedure every year, weather dependent, of course.  And, yes, groups of more than 10 appear to be banned for now.

Thanks for dispelling the Fake News before it escalated.  I am a desperate man, I am going  to the Kaibab to chase turkey.  Six plus hours driving for a stringy arse bird to maintain my sanity.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1