Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

Talk me out of this

I'm pretty well settled on the set-up below and am looking for opinions. What are your thoughts and what other considerations should I be taking a look at within the same general price point? This will also be paired up with a SilencerCo Omega can at some point (10mo and counting...).

This is going to be used primarily for backpack hunts and I am sold the folding stock chassis systems for that purpose. 

Talk me out of any of these (minus caliber) - 

• Christensen Arms MPR .300WM w/ the carbon barrel 
  • Nightforce UL Unimount
  • Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50

Work is slow today...  Thanks for any opinions and/or humor!

2 hours ago, AZDirtyTaco said:

I'm pretty well settled on the set-up below and am looking for opinions. What are your thoughts and what other considerations should I be taking a look at within the same general price point? This will also be paired up with a SilencerCo Omega can at some point (10mo and counting...).

This is going to be used primarily for backpack hunts and I am sold the folding stock chassis systems for that purpose. 

• Nightforce UL Unimount

I’m not gonna talk you out of it

i have a ca ridgeline in 300wm with an nf nsx 5.5-22x50 c505 paired with a sig 2400 abs. It’s perfect in a light weight hunting setup for all game animals at almost any range. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AZDirtyTaco said:

• Nightforce UL Unimount

I have one in my safe right now.  Have yet to shoot it.  Hopefully sending some downrange this weekend.

It is not a light rifle.  I would not consider it a "backpack rifle".  26" barrel plus a brake is going to be long, even with the folding stock.  And you can't cut it down to reduce weight or length.  But it is pretty cool.  

I would be looking at something with a shorter barrel, in a bit lighter chambering, way less weight.  You can always swap stocks if a folder is a must have feature.  For $2500+, I think there are a few other pack rifles choices that would better serve your needs/wants.  Kimber Mountain Ascent, Kimber Adirondack, Cooper Backcountry, Christensen Arms Ridgeline, etc.

Same for the scope.  Not a light scope, and not my choice for a pack scope in that price range.

• Like 2

I like the MPR but am not a big fan of Nightforce scopes.  Good reliability, but they are heavy with mediocre glass.  The ATACR has some nice glass in it, but a big step up in price.  

• Like 1

Times have changed, for my backpack hunting its been a REM mod 7 7-08 with a small 3-9 scope. More recently I have hunted with a REM 700 action in a carbon fiber stock with 24 inch skinny Lilja in 270 win and the smaller Swarovski 3-9 scope. The REM 700 is a light action and another thought is 280AI with a quality 22 inch barrel (not the skinniest or CF barrel) in a CF stock with a 1 inch scope up to 15 power. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I have one in my safe right now.  Have yet to shoot it.  Hopefully sending some downrange this weekend.

It is not a light rifle.  I would not consider it a "backpack rifle".  26" barrel plus a brake is going to be long, even with the folding stock.  And you can't cut it down to reduce weight or length.  But it is pretty cool.  

I would be looking at something with a shorter barrel, in a bit lighter chambering, way less weight.  You can always swap stocks if a folder is a must have feature.  For $2500+, I think there are a few other pack rifles choices that would better serve your needs/wants.  Kimber Mountain Ascent, Kimber Adirondack, Cooper Backcountry, Christensen Arms Ridgeline, etc.

Same for the scope.  Not a light scope, and not my choice for a pack scope in that price range.

The MPR at 8.4b is a full 2lb lighter than what I've been carrying for the past couple seasons, which is a Savage 10 Ashbury Precision in 6.5CM with a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50.  I'm not really counting ounces as much as maintaining a bit shorter profile while packing in. The MPR is listing for $1,800 - 2k with a few stores online.  The folder has been a feature I really like and am looking for with this next rifle for sure.  Nice recommendation in the Kimber's! I gave them a hard look before locking in on a folder.

What other considerations do you suggest on the glass? I've been running the Viper line on everything I own for years and have been really happy there, especially the Gen II stuff. I was looking to step up my game a bit and landed on the NSX after also considering the Mark 5 from Leupold. I have no experience with FFP or would likely be opting to go with a Razor.

3 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

I like the MPR but am not a big fan of Nightforce scopes.  Good reliability, but they are heavy with mediocre glass.  The ATACR has some nice glass in it, but a big step up in price.  

What would your suggestion be?  Like I mentioned to lancetkenyon, I've also been looking at the Leupold Mark 5. The ATACR is outa my range for sure.

27 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

I'd go with the 25x Zeiss scope, just me 

I like the price on the V4 line for sure. I've heard good things about their glass though. Definitely one to take a deeper look at. Thanks!

15 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

I've seen this company kicked around randomly but have no frame of reference on the quality of their stuff.  With a price of $590 on Amazon for the Midas BTR GEN2 4.5-27×50 AHMR SFP IR MOA HD, it's hard to imagine that would be any comparison...  Mind sharing a little on why you would recommend them?

I bought a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor (I know...) crazy light rifle with a Leupold VX5 HD- CDS.  Shot it out to 500yds last week with factory ammo and it shot great for a 5lb rifle.  You can get them already threaded for your can as well. Just throwing out another option to take a look at if you really want a true backpacking rifle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZDirtyTaco said:

I've seen this company kicked around randomly but have no frame of reference on the quality of their stuff.  With a price of $590 on Amazon for the Midas BTR GEN2 4.5-27×50 AHMR SFP IR MOA HD, it's hard to imagine that would be any comparison...  Mind sharing a little on why you would recommend them?

Cronus=reticle and the 110moa

4 oz heavier than the NF but the Weatherby set up could use the extra weight for stabilization. 

I ran a Christiansen with swaro on top. Set up was decent butnot the best shooting rig for the amount of gold coins. I’ve learned to spend my money in other areas. Nothing like out shooting friends with a middle of the road semi custom build on a budget!

• Like 1