Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Which rifle to brake?

My big bolt gun has a micro bastard tapered to the sporter barrel that will not be installed on the new heavier contour barrel it's upgrading to. 

With several growing kids in the family I'll shoot and hopefully hunt with, I'd like to get the brake fitted on one of my rifles that is better suited for them, a scoped 8# .243 or a 7# 6.5 Creedmor.

I'm thinking the kids will progress through my heavy barrel .223 on a bench without a brake prior to getting them into the bigger guns. Then they can decide for louder w/less recoil or vice versa. I'm leaning towards braking the 6.5, warrantying a better elk cartridge and I'll shoot more .243 at coyotes without ear protection.  A braked .243 sounds tough to beat for a petite girl though. 

Curious who braked youth .243's, 6.5 CM's, or similar? Thanks for any input. 

I put a brake on my wife\daughter's savage lightweight 6.5 as much to remove muzzle flip as to reduce recoil and I love it. I ended up taking it my Oct hunt ' to make sure it was safe'  and shot my deer with it at 250 with very low light on 14x and watched it drop in the scope and my wife shot her deer at about 150 on 14x on a morning hunt and watched it drop. I enjoy the reduced muzzle flip maybe even more than the recoil reduction but both are nice.  This is the lightest caliber I have shot with a brake but I'm not adverse to it for that reason.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

An 18" suppressed .243 sounds even better 😉

Hey, another threaded barrel is still a step in the right direction 👍🏼

It is probably next after the big bolt gun upgrade. I won't be holding my breath on the AHPA much longer!

I’m not sure but . I have a radial Christinen arms 30cal 5/8-24 I’d give you if you want it. 

the youths in my family shoot a 300wm with a brake. 

5 hours ago, jdown said:

I put a brake on my wife\daughter's savage lightweight 6.5 as much to remove muzzle flip as to reduce recoil and I love it. I ended up taking it my Oct hunt ' to make sure it was safe'  and shot my deer with it at 250 with very low light on 14x and watched it drop in the scope and my wife shot her deer at about 150 on 14x on a morning hunt and watched it drop. I enjoy the reduced muzzle flip maybe even more than the recoil reduction but both are nice.  This is the lightest caliber I have shot with a brake but I'm not adverse to it for that reason.  

Same here...reduced recoil for my daughter and she lets me borrow it. Shot my last deer at 425 and watched it drop in the scope. 

There are other options too.   You can always shoot reduced loads.    Everything in this state can be killed with a .243.    I had a 10 and 13 year old shoot deer last year with a .243 with reduced loads.   The 80 grain bullet was going 2400 FPS.    The 10 year old smoked his deer at 75 yards and had a pass through.   Deer went 75 yards and piled up.    13 year old shot hers at 204 yards and it went 30 feet and piled up.    She shot a muley doe in the front shoulder and the bullet lodged in the opposite shoulder.    Really no need to shoot big huge rounds at critters.   For cow elk this year I am going to try and shoot more of a full boat load for elk out of the .243.   Not worried at all.   

On 5/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, recurveman said:

“Everything in this state can be killed with a .243.” .....” She shot a muley doe in the front shoulder and the bullet lodged in the opposite shoulder. “

Uhhh... what state? Not AZ I hope 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, recurveman said:

Why not in AZ?

Maybe I missed something in the regs, Is there a youth doe hunt or something? I didnt think doe were legal here, Either way made myself laugh.

Deer I shot with my dad’s took two steps and dropped. .243 is definitely a great cartridge looking for one myself and gonna get into reloading eventually, sounds like you have some great knowledge and experience with that round.

1 hour ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Maybe I missed something in the regs, Is there a youth doe hunt or something? I didnt think doe were legal here, Either way made myself laugh.

Deer I shot with my dad’s took two steps and dropped. .243 is definitely a great cartridge looking for one myself and gonna get into reloading eventually, sounds like you have some great knowledge and experience with that round.

FYI - The Kiabab has a youth only doe deer hunt

• Like 2

couespursuit- i would brake the 6.5.   bowhunter i have shot a lot of game with a .243. 20 deer 2 antelope, 2 elk, turkey, 60-80 coyotes. it is an awesome round. i currently load for 6 different .243 rifles. 

• Like 2

243 for bison in AZ might be alittle  small for ethical hunting, but can kill it.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 11:45 AM, recurveman said:

FYI - The Kiabab has a youth only doe deer hunt

The there is an archery Doe hunt in 11m, well any deer