sjvcon

If it were you??? Caliber question

So I am having a 28 Nosler built, and now I have the bug to get something built for my son for his birthday.  He has a Winchester M70 in 270WSM that is all factory.  I was thinking to use this action (CRF MODEL from FN) to build something.  Would you stay with this caliber?  What other calibers would work in this action that might be a better LR type cartridge?  Like to have something he can buy factory ammo for, since we don't do a whole lot of reloading and it'd be nice to be able to run to the store and buy a box.  That said … open to other suggestions if something would be just STUPID GOOD on this action but can't be bought in a store.  Other option would be to use one of the other Long Actions I have (Win M70 CRF) and get something like a 28 Nosler or similar built for him.

Thoughts?  I'm not overly in tune with what stuff can be accomplished with the WSM length actions. 

I wouldn't do another 28 Nosler.

.280AI, 7SAUM, 7RM, .264WM, 6.5PRC (can't believe I just said that).

• Like 2

You could keep it a 270 wsm and rebarrel it to a faster twist such as a 1:8 to shoot the higher bc bullets such as bergers and I think nosler is coming out with some new bullets to support their 27 nosler. 

• Like 1

If I was going to do another build today and wanted to use factory ammo.......First off I would get a custom action and build from there.   Leave the original gun intact.  If it is a money thing then sell the gun and put the money towards the new action.   

In regards to caliber I would probably do the 6.5 PRC because it has great ballistics and great ammo options.   I would have a great debate with myself and look at the 6.5 SAUM too but only if you wanted to reload.      

• Like 1

Fast twist 270 WSM, 264 WIN MAG, 7 Rem Mag, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 RPM. 

156gr 6.5 bullets would be cool to shoot. 

The problem with the big boomers is barrel life if you like to shoot it. I shot out my 257 weatherby, and rebuilt it as a 257 weatherby again with the idea of shooting the 131gr Blackjack bullets. I dont expect great barrel life, but this time I had the rifle built with a barrel nut type barrel so I can switch barrels fairly easily when I shoot this one out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, recurveman said:

If I was going to do another build today and wanted to use factory ammo.......First off I would get a custom action and build from there.   Leave the original gun intact.  If it is a money thing then sell the gun and put the money towards the new action.   

In regards to caliber I would probably do the 6.5 PRC because it has great ballistics and great ammo options.   I would have a great debate with myself and look at the 6.5 SAUM too but only if you wanted to reload.      

Money isn't an issue...but I grew up on Mausers and Pre'64s....its a preference thing.  Can't really explain it and it's probably not overly rational......

• Like 2

After witnessing an 885 yard shot on a Raghorn that piled up inside of 10 yards I would say the 6.5 PRC  is a respectable choice.

• Like 1

If you decide to use the action that the .270 WSM was off from you have a .535 bolt face, which will work for most of the cases already listed. With the .280AI which has a .473 bolt face, you would have to use another bolt. As someone once told me about bolt faces, you can open them up, but you can't shrink them.

So the 6.5 PRC...that works on the WSM length?  

Anyone done anything with the 7 WSM...seems like that one kinda faded out, but the 284s have better bullets than the 270s.  Seems odd it wouldn't be better received.

• Like 2

One of my Buds has a 7mm wsm and he likes it. I don't know why it didn't take off, other than it really didn't beat what was already out there. Nothing wrong with the .270 wsm. I've had 2, sold 1, gave the other to a grandson.

43 minutes ago, sjvcon said:

Anyone done anything with the 7 WSM...seems like that one kinda faded out, but the 284s have better bullets than the 270s.  Seems odd it wouldn't be better received.

^^^^ This