Sign in to follow this  
ronk

PointGuard Question

If you have PointGuard and get a deer with OTC archery, can you still surrender your rifle deer tag and get your points back?

okay, that is what I thought but I have never used PointGuard and wasn't sure if G&F asks questions during the surrender process.

14 minutes ago, ronk said:

okay, that is what I thought but I have never used PointGuard and wasn't sure if G&F asks questions during the surrender process.

You can DL the form online and simply mail it and the permit to the AGFD office to get your points back. 

If you're surrendering your tag can't you donate it to a deserving vet via AES?

10 minutes ago, Edge said:

If you're surrendering your tag can't you donate it to a deserving vet via AES?

Yup. He can do that too using the same form. It just has to be an approved organization with verification. 

A person who donates, or transfers, his or her hunt permit-tag to a qualified nonprofit organization, also can participate in tag surrender, provided the requirements listed above are fulfilled. An acceptable proof of the transfer must be provided to the department (a receipt from the qualified nonprofit organization, for example). The tag surrender application form and an acceptable proof of the hunt permit-tag being donated must be completed within 60 days of the donation, and no less than 30 days before the next application deadline for that particular species.

From the form

Was this tag donated to a non-profit organization?  Yes  No

(If Yes, please also provide the “Hunt Permit-Tag Donation Affidavit” - Form 132.)

• Like 1

But if you get drawn again, you have to take the tag.

11 minutes ago, n2horns said:

But if you get drawn again, you have to take the tag.

Exactly...be sure you want to use Pointguard or make sure the OTC archery deer is worth it. 

13 hours ago, bigorange said:

Exactly...be sure you want to use Pointguard or make sure the OTC archery deer is worth it. 

If he already killed a deer on the OTC, it makes no difference; he's DONE killing deer for the year. So his choices are eat the tag with no hunting or PG, thus no points or turn it in and get his points back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

If he already killed a deer on the OTC, it makes no difference; he's DONE killing deer for the year. So his choices are eat the tag with no hunting or PG, thus no points or turn it in and get his points back. 

Well if he already got an otc deer this year (Jan) then he shouldn’t have put in for a tag...I was reading it as “if I get an otc deer” implying that he hadn’t yet...

• Like 1

And I should add...I’m in that boat every year without the pointguard. Have to consider whether the OTC buck is worth eating/donating the drawn tag. A velvety coues in archery range in Aug would make that decision easy for me at this point. LoL

2 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Well if he already got an otc deer this year (Jan) then he shouldn’t have put in for a tag...I was reading it as “if I get an otc deer” implying that he hadn’t yet...

Right, it's a hypothetical, but I'm guessing he's talking about the archery season AFTER the draw (Aug.), however and not Jan.