bradleylarson48

Meat in the heat

So I found a few quality mule deer bucks I’m Gonna go after with my bow. My only concern is it’s about a 2.5 mile hike In  through rough rough country. If I do harvest a buck I’d probably end up having to take 2 trips to get it back to my car. If I left meat in game bags in the shade how fast would the meat go bad?  I don’t want to waste any.  I’m going solo cause I can only go after school certain days. And I’m not even sure what days I can go.  I can probably get all the meat out in 2 trips but it would take a while. 

Short answer is don't go. Kind of answering your own question with the details. 

Long answer is leave all your gear and man up and haul all the meat out in one trip, even waiting until dark to shoot an animal and hauling in the dark it will be too warm. Leave all your stuff, bone meat out and get it done.

1 minute ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Short answer is don't go. Kind of answering your own question with the details. 

Long answer is leave all your gear and man up and haul all the meat out in one trip, even waiting until dark to shoot an animal and hauling in the dark it will be too warm. Leave all your stuff, bone meat out and get it done.

Ok I packed my last deer out in one trip and that was with some military ruck sack. I bought a mystery ranch so hopefully it’s a little easier on my back this year. Do you think I could leave the head back with my bow and other gear?  I’m just gonna euro it again. 

4 minutes ago, bradleylarson48 said:

Ok I packed my last deer out in one trip and that was with some military ruck sack. I bought a mystery ranch so hopefully it’s a little easier on my back this year. Do you think I could leave the head back with my bow and other gear?  I’m just gonna euro it again. 

Sure you can . If nothing else hang the head up or conceal it in a bush.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill@roofer said:

Sure you can . If nothing else hang the head up or conceal it in a bush.

Agree if you’re gonna euro it the head can wait. Heck bury it and come back in a couple months and it will be euro’d already. Just kidding on the part...sort of. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigorange said:

Agree if you’re gonna euro it the head can wait. Heck bury it and come back in a couple months and it will be euro’d already. Just kidding on the part...sort of. 

I’m gonna try to save the velvet. So idk. I might try to just make one trip and get everything in the cooler 

1 minute ago, DUG said:

Bring a frying pan? Oh wait no campfires right now. NM

Haha id only be able to eat about 2 steaks anyway. 

Go kill one of those bucks. When you do, leave behind as much of your gear as you can with the boned out front quarters and other ground cuts left hung in full shade. You will be just fine. Properly boned and cooled meat has a way of lasting just as long as you need while you work hard to get back in and out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

Go kill one of those bucks. When you do, leave behind as much of your gear as you can with the boned out front quarters and other ground cuts left hung in full shade. You will be just fine. The meat has a way of lasting just as long as you need while you work hard to get back in and out.

I’m gonna try to get as much as I can out but I’m only 5’6 125 so packing out a whole deer is pretty exhausting by myself. 

12 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

The bottom line is this. 

Do the best you can.

Be smart and work as hard as you can. 

Yeah it’s too hot. I dont wanna die out there

How far is the closest place to get ice from your truck? Depending on that if you need to make 2 trips with meat take all the prime meat first, loins, back straps etc and haul butt to the truck,  get ice and haul butt back.  

Note, when having a full heavy pack and being in a hurry make sure you have walking sticks. 

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

How far is the closest place to get ice from your truck? Depending on that if you need to make 2 trips with meat take all the prime meat first, loins, back straps etc and haul butt to the truck,  get ice and haul butt back.  

Note, when having a full heavy pack and being in a hurry make sure you have walking sticks. 

It’s like 5 minutes maybe. It’s a place that’s pretty close to town with a fairly low hunting pressure. And yeah I’m bringing trekking poles For sure.