bradleylarson48

Meat in the heat

6 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

You shouldn’t have a problem packing out a whole deer in one trip for 2.5 miles if the terrain isn’t too steep. Yeah, it sucks but honestly (unless it’s a BIG buck) we’re talkin about probably 60-80lbs if meat. Less if it’s a small one, slightly more on a big buck. I did 150lbs for about 3 miles a few years ago. it sucked but can be done. You’re young and it won’t take all the tread off your joints yet. 

'No problem....' says the man with 1000 lbs of elk head, horn, and hide on his back in his avatar pic!!!  😂   

In all seriousness though, I'm in agreement with most here.  Take care of the meat in the field quickly (Have you tried gutless???   You won't go back!).  Debone and bag it, then load into your pack and get going.  Also, if you can't get it all in one load; as long as you debone, bag and hang in the shade, you should be fine.  If off the bone and clean, my experience is that the meat will not spoil that quickly.  You should have enough time for the two trips it may take to get it on ice.

Good luck!

It’s part of hunting.That’s why we do it. A week after the hunt you will convince yourself the pack out wasn’t that bad. Lmao. I did a heavy coues buck packed out whole as my father in law wanted to cook the ribs. So I did gutless method. Legs and back held up good. Went though 3 canyons non issue. Hardest part was being able to see the truck and having to drop down in the last canyon. 

3 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

It’s part of hunting.That’s why we do it. A week after the hunt you will convince yourself the pack out wasn’t that bad. Lmao. I did a heavy coues buck packed out whole as my father in law wanted to cook the ribs. So I did gutless method. Legs and back held up good. Went though 3 canyons non issue. Hardest part was being able to see the truck and having to drop down in the last canyon. 

Did you say "heavy" and coues in the same sentence?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My mystery ranch pack just came in so it should be a little better hauling meat out. I packed a 40 pound salt lick in very easily and that was with a military rucksack. So the mystery ranch should be better. 

• Like 1

Meat will last longer then Most  think as long as you skin, debone and hang in the shade.  Haul out what you can as fast as you can then Go get the next load.  It won’t do you or the meat any good if you kill yourself on the first to heavy of a load. 

• Like 1

If its late afternoon, hanging it in some shade until at least the sun sets if not later, and then loading up to pack out can by a good idea for you and the meat too sometimes...

3 hours ago, bojangles said:

Get friends.  

Friends don't let friends pack alone.

It's always nice to have help. I've done an Elk, Mule Deer and two Coues alone and wished I would have had some company.

• Like 1

Well did you have to haul any meat out by yourself hopefully you had some luck

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 1:45 PM, PRDATR said:

It's always nice to have help. I've done an Elk, Mule Deer and two Coues alone and wished I would have had some company.

I’m lucky to have my little pack man with me on most every hunt. He’s small but like a frieking pack horse!!! Not sure what I’d do without my buddy Matt! The dude can carry weight like no one would believe!!!

10 minutes ago, Jasper17 said:

Well did you have to haul any meat out by yourself hopefully you had some luck

I couldn’t find the buck I was after. The rain messed up the deer. They haven’t hit water this whole week. I only glassed a spike some rams and some javelina. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradleylarson48 said:

I couldn’t find the buck I was after. The rain messed up the deer. They haven’t hit water this whole week. I only glassed a spike some rams and some javelina. 

Keep at it!