bojangles

late archery strategies

This is kind of a roll call for late archery elk hunters.  For guys like me who don't want to sit on the couch and would rather have any tag, than no tag.

Here's my advice, and feel free to offer corrections and chime in with your tips and tricks as well.

1) beware of swirling winds as the sun comes up.  This has blown many water hole sits for me.  Elk like to water at daybreak, and the winds seem to always shift right as their getting close.  

2)Some cows who don't conceive, will be ready again the first week of this hunt.  Don't count out rutting activity.  You never know.  This is the chance for smaller bulls to have their shot, and also to get shot.

3)  Consider shooting a spike on opening morning.  You may not get another chance.

4)  practice.  You may have to take a long shot.  be prepared.  

5)  it might be really cold or hot.  i don't step out of my truck without provisions to spend a blustery night.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bojangles said:

This is kind of a roll call for late archery elk hunters.  For guys like me who don't want to sit on the couch and would rather have any tag, than no tag.

Here's my advice, and feel free to offer corrections and chime in with your tips and tricks as well.

1) beware of swirling winds as the sun comes up.  This has blown many water hole sits for me.  Elk like to water at daybreak, and the winds seem to always shift right as their getting close.  

2)Some cows who don't conceive, will be ready again the first week of this hunt.  Don't count out rutting activity.  You never know.  This is the chance for smaller bulls to have their shot, and also to get shot.

3)  Consider shooting a spike on opening morning.  You may not get another chance.

4)  practice.  You may have to take a long shot.  be prepared.  

5)  it might be really cold or hot.  i don't step out of my truck without provisions to spend a blustery night.  

That helps a ton thank you! I do have a question on an ethical kill range for a bull though. My bow Is 24 inch draw length this 55 pounds draw weight. I am hitting dimes and pennies at 40 yards no issue and hitting apples at 70! I use 100 grain tips with 340 arrows. Would 35 be an ABSOLUTE max? Or lower down to 25-30 range?

My personal opinion is probably a max of 40.  I'm at 65 pounds and 29 inch draw but will never shoot an arrow past 60 no matter what.  I really feel that you have to start thinking about the time it takes an arrow to get there, one step is the difference between a good shot and a horrible one.

1 hour ago, UggRedBilly said:

That helps a ton thank you! I do have a question on an ethical kill range for a bull though. My bow Is 24 inch draw length this 55 pounds draw weight. I am hitting dimes and pennies at 40 yards no issue and hitting apples at 70! I use 100 grain tips with 340 arrows. Would 35 be an ABSOLUTE max? Or lower down to 25-30 range?

What does your arrow weigh and what’s the setup chronograph at?  55# at 24” sounds very low energy, I’d personally be very concerned with penetration.  A lot of bulls have fallen to low energy bows before, but I think it requires some extra consideration.

I’d be trying to get as close as possible and use a heavy arrow with a fixed blade 2 blade cut on contact head.  

just my .02, good luck.

• Like 1

If you can’t shoot fast you need to shoot heavy. You only gain energy from speed and/or weight. With a heavy enough arrow out of a compound your range shouldn’t hinder you much. People kill stuff with recurves all the time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UggRedBilly said:

24" draw length is less than most.  I am curious as to how you measure you draw length.  How tall are you?

As dry as it is, I think water will be key.  Consider putting a cam on the water if you are sitting during the hunt, and check if/when elk are coming in.  I stopped in an outfitter friend's camp several years ago.  Their cams showed the bulls were watering at noon, but their late archery hunters wanted to be in camp eating lunch (weird choice).

Regarding the bow, friend's wife double lunged with complete penetration her bull with a 45 pound bow.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

It’s what you feel like you can kill.  Use super, ridiculously sharp broad heads and I think you will be fine.  Be careful around those broad heads, you want them scary sharp.  You may be able to go 50 if the conditions are right.  A lot of lost bulls are because they were bumped and not given time to expire.  Double lung will go down fast, and maybe a heart shot, too.  Any thing else and you better be patient.  

3 hours ago, mattys281 said:

What does your arrow weigh and what’s the setup chronograph at?  55# at 24” sounds very low energy, I’d personally be very concerned with penetration.  A lot of bulls have fallen to low energy bows before, but I think it requires some extra consideration.

I’d be trying to get as close as possible and use a heavy arrow with a fixed blade 2 blade cut on contact head.  

just my .02, good luck.

I dont have a scale or a chrono unfortunately. That is why I am worried about my max and if I have to cut my max range down due to unknowns that is fine! I have had so many possible shots at deer I didnt take due to them being JUST too far! And I will see what I can find for a 2 blade! I usually use montech g5. But I sent that MULTIPLE people have shot and not recovered elk this year alone

44 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I dont have a scale or a chrono unfortunately. That is why I am worried about my max and if I have to cut my max range down due to unknowns that is fine! I have had so many possible shots at deer I didnt take due to them being JUST too far! And I will see what I can find for a 2 blade! I usually use montech g5. But I sent that MULTIPLE people have shot and not recovered elk this year alone

If you continue using the g5 watch a couple videos on how people sharpen them and make sure they are razor sharp.  

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

If you continue using the g5 watch a couple videos on how people sharpen them and make sure they are razor sharp.  

Or just use a good bh 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

For every 1 bad story about mechanicals, I’ve heard 3 for G5’s. That broadhead is cursed or something 

Yeah. I heard of 2 or 3 at least from the early season on these forums. And that is only this year! I dont want that to be me