Elkhunter1

9mm for Coues Deer.

You asked for opinions so hear goes. 9mm is weak at best, 357 would be a way better choice. Not saying you can’t kill one but the probability of wounding one and losing it is much greater. Not trying to talk you out of it. You do you! It’s legal! 

I have shot both a ton and even had a lion crouched down at 25 feet with a tag in my pocket and my 9mm aimed at him for quite a spell while he sized me up. I didn’t shoot as I didn’t want to maim him and he run off to die somewhere. If I had my 357 mag I would have drilled him. 9mm works on people as they give up. Coues don’t give up. I have seen some hit hard with rifles that just amazed me how tough they are. 

Good luck whatever you decide! Nice pig btw!

I read an article several years ago on treating handgun wounds in Trauma Centers.  It made the point that handgun wounds were rarely immediately fatal (FORGET THE TV STUFF) and that if you could get the bleeding stopped right away, survival was good.  It also made the point that rifle wounds were rarely treated in Trauma Centers. Reason?  Most often they were quickly fatal.  Made a lot of sense.  Not that you can't take big game with a handgun but things are definitely stacked against you.  

1 hour ago, Big Tub said:

I read an article several years ago on treating handgun wounds in Trauma Centers.  It made the point that handgun wounds were rarely immediately fatal (FORGET THE TV STUFF) and that if you could get the bleeding stopped right away, survival was good.  It also made the point that rifle wounds were rarely treated in Trauma Centers. Reason?  Most often they were quickly fatal.  Made a lot of sense.  Not that you can't take big game with a handgun but things are definitely stacked against you.  

Did the article make mention of fmj vs jhp?

On 2/28/2021 at 6:19 AM, Big Tub said:

the article was a medical article and not specific.

I would have to say most thugs who are bent on shooting people don't go ammo shopping for lethality and they certainly don't test ballistics before they gun down little Johnny. JMHO

On 10/28/2020 at 8:28 PM, Delw said:

I think you will be fine, Handgun hunting is a blast. saw a dude kill a Huge muley in 13A one year with a 9mm glock from a sleeping bag laying down.

he was camped maybe 20 yards away, he road in on his harley from phx, his buddies were meeting him on opening day with the camping stuff and rifles guess they drew a few tags . he was just planning on scouting till his buddies showed up. 

Classic delw.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, bigorange said:

Did the results surprise you or confirm expectations between the two loads? Expecting to see the real results in a couple weeks…

It really confirmed what I expected with regards to accuracy.  I also expect the Coues buck will have the same reaction the Javelina did.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, roninflag said:

Did you shoot yet?  pics?/ 

I sat water for three days with only Mule deer coming in.  I got ansie and grabbed the rifle and took the only Coues I saw!

All I can say is, life dictates what happens!!!

20211024_133031.jpg

• Like 1