azcouesandelk

First Backpack Hunt ???

1 minute ago, trphyhntr said:

Seems like plenty of food. But....

BD90235A-62D0-4951-8D47-8BB8AE1AA362.jpeg

I guess I’ll throw a flask in each of our packs

• Like 3

Don't forget some wet wipes and a small pair of tweezers.

Also some over the counter pain meds.  Comes in handy for headaches, sore knees, whatever.  

Then again, you'll have whiskey.  Bourbon I hope.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

Don't forget some wet wipes and a small pair of tweezers.

Also some over the counter pain meds.  Comes in handy for headaches, sore knees, whatever.  

Then again, you'll have whiskey.  Bourbon I hope.

I forgot to list it but there is a package of wet wipes and my first aid kit is athletic tape and a mix of excedrin and alieve 

I have zero experience in the back pack field. But when I started research I've heard having some olive oil to add to meals help add calories lightweight.  But i dont really know.

On 10/29/2020 at 6:47 PM, trphyhntr said:

The same socks for 4 days. Same underwear too? 

Yes.    I might bring an extra pair of socks but that is it.   Extra clothes just aren't needed.   If you stink just tell your hunting buddy to not get down wind.  

Ditch the solar charger.   Bring a battery pack.    You need more food.   I wouldn't do less than 3,000 calories per day.   3500-4,000 would be better.    You will want more variety also.   The same bar tastes like dog crap after a few days.    You need more water for sure.   If you both brought in 5 gallons of water then you would know what a hike with 40-50# would feel like.   For your clothes.   You wear in what you need for the hike then you are allowed a jacket and insulation layer.    Everything else is just added weight.   Wear wool underwear and your junk won't smell as bad.   Didn't see gloves, knit hat, fire starter.......don't really care if it is legal.   If you get super cold and can't get warm then its time to build a fire.   TP and dude wipes go with me every time.   Head lamp.   I use a nightcore HC65 headlamp.    Simple, light, rechargeable and can bring an extra battery.    Also bring a Petzel Bindi headlamp for a backup.   Weighs in at around an ounce and does a good job for a backup.    You are going to sit and glass so you might as well have a nice pad for your rump.   I'm on the fence in regards to the spotter.   If it is country where you can see well over a mile (and you like to glass with your spotter) then I would consider it.   If you are just doing it for "trophy" judging then leave it home.    My guess is if you see a better than average buck you guys won't be able to stop the spotter from shaking and there will be bullets in the air anyways.         

I put weight into 2 categories.   First, the weight that you carry into the field.    Second, the weight you will carry when hunting.   Don't get to wrapped up into the weight of your pack that you are going to carry in one time and then leave at camp.    The weight you are going to carry around while hunting will be more of a concern than your total pack weight in my book.    A pack weight of 50# isn't a big deal.    Once you get over 60# then you will really start to notice the suck factor.    Bring what you need to be comfortable and leave the rest home.     

• Like 1

Here's my take on your plan- You don't have much contingency built in.   Bad weather, broken ankle, kidney stone, sprained back, and so forth.  Yes, buddies can shuffle you in motrin and food, if extra time is needed, and worst case a helicopter ride out, but I would add a few lbs for "contingency".  A little more clothing and calories to start with.  A small jar of peanut butter will carry you for a while if you end up in trouble.   Don't let yourself be under hydrated.  It's super hard to get caught up on that in the field(check urine color, and if color of mountain dew or darker, start drinking tons).  My only item to add if you don't already have it is chapstick.  Cracked lips ruin your universe if they get bad and you can't treat them.  We want photos afterwards so take tons, and good luck!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know this thread is a year old, but I am curious to know how this trip went and if you would be willing to give a bit of a follow up report. I’ve never taken the plunge on a true backpack hunting trip, but I’m very interested in doing so. I’ve hunted for 25+ years, but never been too far to return to camp. 

• Like 2