azcouesandelk

First Backpack Hunt ???

I am finally going to do my first back pack hunt here in a few weeks. I am working on my last minute details and wanted some input/insight from any veteran backpackers.

My hunting partner and I will be hiking in Thursday afternoon and coming out Monday afternoon. The hike is around 5.5-6 miles one way.  We will be going in the weekend before the hunt to haul 5 gallons of water so we won’t be needing a filtration system. He will be carrying the gun since I am carrying the game bags, cooking equipment, sidearm, rangefinder and spotting scope. 

I have pictures showing my gear list with weights, also my food list with calories and protein. My total pack without any water is 35 lb 10 oz. I will be adding a 70 oz bladder into my pack so my total with that will be right at 40 lb. 

If anybody has any suggestions on what I need to add or what I can cut I am all ears. Also any meal suggestions that you have used that have been successful. 

8709AF80-8E1A-4E88-83FB-5D5FDC89C3C6.thumb.jpeg.0992c7172faee1cb88385dab489cbd21.jpeg0448550C-BBBD-4684-ABF5-0EF867EBA42B.thumb.jpeg.19202dd5c90b76f59d1c75f7a9ea302f.jpegB5B7DCD0-4329-4633-84F8-BBD23D59C81D.thumb.jpeg.c7f7c7f534071169183de3a1b567a20a.jpeg61DB54C8-855C-4F6F-BDC4-58234CF53EB2.thumb.jpeg.a8be2b353d804b09faef843acba58414.jpeg9EC73965-76AF-47EE-9FF0-F98DAF4A77A4.thumb.jpeg.cde4602e8738c142b78a270f843d22ca.jpeg

• Like 3

A gallon of water a day per person is the minimum we take. Dont skimp on water. 

• Like 3

Don’t weight every thing it’s depressing. Take what you need and more water than you think

leave the spotter at home. If your not bringing a weapon, leave the game bags too

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jcarter said:

A gallon of water a day per person is the minimum we take. Dont skimp on water. 

Thanks for the advice. We might haul an extra gallon in before and each carry 100 oz in on the hike

12 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Don’t weight every thing it’s depressing. Take what you need and more water than you think

leave the spotter at home. If your not bringing a weapon, leave the game bags too

I’ve been told to weigh everything since “ounces leads to pounds”. It is interesting to see where the weight comes from. The spotter is probably gonna stay so we can field judge accurately. Don’t want to put all this effort in and shoot a buck smaller than what we have set as our goal. 

you might be over thinking it. 5-6 miles isnt a long way. also dependent on what unit your going to. you wont be far from the truck if need be.

I agree with NOT weighing everything cause Lbs aint going to tell you anything. Take your pack with what you want and walk 30 min to an hour in the flat desert. if its too heavy dump a 1/4 of the stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, azcouesandelk said:

Thanks for the advice. We might haul an extra gallon in before and each carry 100 oz in on the hike

I’ve been told to weigh everything since “ounces leads to pounds”. It is interesting to see where the weight comes from. The spotter is probably gonna stay so we can field judge accurately. Don’t want to put all this effort in and shoot a buck smaller than what we have set as our goal. 

Well what do I know. Regardless of weight you need what you need. I’ve done several successful backpack hunts for deer elk and javelina. Including a few solo. The weight that counts the most is the meat your packing out. 
 I’d bring more food  and water. Like a gal a day per person if I were you. 

if you can’t “field judge” a buck with 15’s your too far a way to kill it even if you wanted to.

if there’s no rain in the forecast I would only bring the socks your wearing for a trip this short. 

what part of the state are you packing in to?

• Like 4

I always take in a seperate nalgene bottle with atleast 2 packs of electrolites( squenchers, WA or something similar) or flavoring ( teas, lemonade) a day.  Water gets old after a few days. Instant coffee, if you are a coffee drinker, is a must.  

• Like 1

It looks to me like you might be low on calories.  If you can lose a pound a day, and still hunt effectively, you might be ok, since it's only 4 days.  I agree with the above posts on additional grub.  Specifically, consider adding some dried fruit, jerky, nuts, hard cheese, bagels, and some sort of candy like jolly ranchers.  Powdered Gatorade doesn't weigh much.  Avoid at all costs, "hitting the wall" due to physical effort and low calories resulting in inability to convert calories and protein into energy.  I have let that happen a few times, and found I was pretty worthless until I ate something and then waited for everything to stabilize.    

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Well what do I know. Regardless of weight you need what you need. I’ve done several successful backpack hunts for deer elk and javelina. Including a few solo. The weight that counts the most is the meat your packing out. 
 I’d bring more food  and water. Like a gal a day per person if I were you. 

if you can’t “field judge” a buck with 15’s your too far a way to kill it even if you wanted to.

if there’s no rain in the forecast I would only bring the socks your wearing for a trip this short. 

what part of the state are you packing in to?

The same socks for 4 days. Same underwear too? 

5 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

The same socks for 4 days. Same underwear too? 

Who’s still wears underwear?

• Haha 3

5-6 miles can be pretty dang far depending on the area... I took way to much food the first time I backpacked one. The next few times I took too much food. After several trips I got it dialed in to where I have plenty to eat but not excess. Being hungry isn’t worth skimping a pound....

as for water, a gallon a day is ideal, but bare minimum for me is half gallon a day if I must...

looks like you spent a pretty penny on some good gear. Hope you like it! I know most of my initial gear got tweaked or replaced before I settled on what I like, but I’m always playing with new stuff.

i take an extra pair of socks and underwear for any trip over a couple days. Worth it to me.

i carry 2 quality headlamps  and batteries. I’ve been let down before, and it was NOT fun...

my opinion, anyone who dosent pack in to hunt is missing out on absolutely the best way to hunt. Enjoy it! And learn to have fun when it’s uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Will be planning on an extra gallon of water each (that will make it 4.75 gallons each for 4 days).  Will definitely have a nalgene and some WA hydrate/recover and energy/focus. 

Gonna look into adding a pound of almonds/cashews and cook up 4 strips of bacon for each morning, that should get me another 400-500 calories a day. 

Once setup I don’t plan on a whole lot of hiking unless we are on a stalk. Hence the spotting scope so we don’t have to make a move on any buck that looks decent.  Where we are going to be has enough country for us to stay put the 4 days without having to hike more than a few hundreds yards to glass

The hike we have is very little flats with 2000’ of elevation gain. Planning on a 3+ hour hike so we don’t wear ourselves out 

10 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

5-6 miles can be pretty dang far depending on the area... I took way to much food the first time I backpacked one. The next few times I took too much food. After several trips I got it dialed in to where I have plenty to eat but not excess. Being hungry isn’t worth skimping a pound....

as for water, a gallon a day is ideal, but bare minimum for me is half gallon a day if I must...

looks like you spent a pretty penny on some good gear. Hope you like it! I know most of my initial gear got tweaked or replaced before I settled on what I like, but I’m always playing with new stuff.

i take an extra pair of socks and underwear for any trip over a couple days. Worth it to me.

i carry 2 quality headlamps  and batteries. I’ve been let down before, and it was NOT fun...

my opinion, anyone who dosent pack in to hunt is missing out on absolutely the best way to hunt. Enjoy it! And learn to have fun when it’s uncomfortable.

It’s gonna be a rough 5 miles for sure. I’ve done some overnight trips and have been piecing gear together the last 2 years. This will be my first multi day trip and I know I am overthinking everything