Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Remember the 80s in Phoenix

Grape vines at the end of 67th and union hills? was right where the outerloop is now. it was all dirt road too.

59th ave and cactus was all orchards, 67th and Peoria was mostly farmland. 83 ave and union hills was all orchards, used to dove/quail hunt at the arrowhead mall before the city took it over,

was a cool place back then

11 hours ago, Saguaro said:

I remember the orange trees on 17 and Ladmo bags.  

🙋‍♂️ So please remind me where along I17 these trees were in 1980. I'm really drawing a blank on this one. 

11 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Legend City...and the go cart place across the street.  I took some bitch.s. Oh ya....

Before it was buiIt, a customer at my dad's Flying A gas station at 33rd. ave and Indian school was selling stock for LC. I owned 100 shares at $1 per that later became worthless. 🤬

7 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Mr. Lucky's

remember the size of those bouncers?!?

not needed at Graham Central Station for the urban cowboy/yuppie bunch

8 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

🙋‍♂️ So please remind me where along I17 these trees were in 1980. I'm really drawing a blank on this one. 

I was really young, ages 5-9.  I think they were around Bell Road.  Orange trees were a cool thing for a northern az person.  

There used to be a mall at 59th and Northen. 

Still is, with Walmart and Lowe's as anchor stores. 

Criptown Mall.

Assume you meant Christown, which just closed a few months back.

Mr. Lucky's

Building still stands with fencing all  around it. I spent many a nights there in the 1960s. A good friend, Ray Lerma, was the head bouncer. 

Maryvale had a mall and a hospital. 

Mall is still there with Walmart as the major tenant. Hospital, owned by Abrazo, closed as a general hospital in 2017. I believe it still houses patients with behavior issues. 

Phoenix Trap and Skeet club on Indian School.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I shot trap there with a team sponsored by Bellow's Sporting Goods, probably late 1960s, esrly 70s.

Cars didn't have air conditioning so 245 air was all you had. 

Tell me me about it. When we moved here from NJ in Jan. 1962, I had a tricked out '56 Ford Victoria and towed a '56 T-Bird. No AC in either. A few months later, the Bird sold for a downpayment on a house, and the Vic' became a 1962 Mercury station wagon WITH AC. My wife was a very happy camper with both deals. 😂

8 hours ago, elkaholic said:

Horse riding stables at south mtn.park !!! 

Go on night rides during a full moon.

Rode there one night when I first visited Phx in 1958 with my parents and a high school buddy. It was my first time of many on a horse.

We played golf at Enchanto and thought it was kind of weird that all the holes were flooded 8" deep on the sides of the fairways. We eventually took off our shoes & socks because we spent a lot of time wading after wayward golf balls. 

18 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

remember the size of those bouncers?!?

The head dude was a good friend, Ray Lerma. We worked out together at a small gym in the shopping ctr, between Indian School & Grand Ave at 33rd. The gym was at the ISR end, north of Graham Central. 

1 hour ago, bigbuckfever said:

The South Twin and Round-up Drive-ins.  

Also, the Big Sky on Indian School between 35th and 43rd. Ave. There was another on Van Buren, but I can't rmember the name. We still have one a mile away from me on 55th Ave here in Glendale. Think it's now called the Glendale Nine. It has nine screens now, but gone are the days where admission was per car load. Now they charge per person, including kids over a certain age. probably been 30 years or more since I've been to one. Last movie was "The Hunt For Red October." 

46 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Also, the Big Sky on Indian School between 35th and 43rd. Ave. There was another on Van Buren, but I can't rmember the name. We still have one a mile away from me on 55th Ave here in Glendale. Think it's now called the Glendale Nine. It has nine screens now, but gone are the days where admission was per car load. Now they charge per person, including kids over a certain age. probably been 30 years or more since I've been to one. Last movie was "The Hunt For Red October." 

Don’t forget the Indian Drive In on 27th ave just north of Indian Sch Rd east side of 27th ave.

I remember going to sunset sporting goods on 35th and northern back in the 80’s when they had all the bulk plastic worms, lizards, garland jigs and terminal tackle in the bins. 

back in the 80’s you could also draw a unit 9 archery elk tag every year 

you could draw a late December coues deer tag down south every year and your tag was good for a handful of different units. You could also buy an additional deer tag for a meat buck and shoot 2 deer a year