Sign in to follow this  
elkaholic

Remember the 80s in Phoenix

12 minutes ago, bigbuckfever said:

Minder Binders,  Freddys down the road (aka the Library), and Sawmill were some good ASU area bars 

My father-in-law owned the Library for a time. 

You guys remember the Playboy club?

Wife and I were driving to our reception and killing time from our wedding,with our best man and wifes maid of honor. we happened to see the playboy hot air balloon in the parking lot of the downtown mall. figured what the heck lets see if we can get a balloon ride would make for a cool pic if nothing else and we have time to kill.

some guy came up and asked were was the reception, told them at a buddies house off central just north of here. he said not anymore its at the playboy club now, where like yeah right. he said you guys go with these people and we'll send people to tell your guests. we probably had 50-75 people there. They said drinks were 1/2 price and extra food food was free. 2 hours later it was a party like we never imagined that ended about 1:30am for April and I , Dad said everyone left just before the sun came up.

was really cool, saw a wedding reception that was planned for months shut down and reset up at the playboy club in a little over 3 hours decorated and all. lots of big names came in said hi sports guys mainly, full bunny suit waitress staff ;)  they had misss Nov and dec. there greeting all the guest and hung around

they shut the place down the following year in 83

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

5 minutes ago, Delw said:

Wife and I were driving to our reception and killing time from our wedding,with our best man and wifes maid of honor. we happened to see the playboy hot air balloon in the parking lot of the downtown mall. figured what the heck lets see if we can get a balloon ride would make for a cool pic if nothing else and we have time to kill.

some guy came up and asked were was the reception, told them at a buddies house off central just north of here. he said not anymore its at the playboy club now, where like yeah right. he said you guys go with these people and we'll send people to tell your guests. we probably had 50-75 people there. They said drinks were 1/2 price and extra food food was free. 2 hours later it was a party like we never imagined that ended about 1:30am for April and I , Dad said everyone left just before the sun came up.

was really cool, saw a wedding reception that was planned for months shut down and reset up at the playboy club in a little over 3 hours decorated and all. lots of big names came in said hi sports guys mainly, full bunny suit waitress staff ;)  they had misss Nov and dec. there greeting all the guest and hung around

they shut the place down the following year in 83

My father used an accountant that had an office in the midrise building that housed the Phoenix Playboy club.  Whenever I ran paper to the accountant for my father I'd ride the elevator up to the club.  One or two bunnies would greet at the opening of the elevator.  I was obviously underage but they would humor me for a minute or two.  Good times.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bigbuckfever said:

Cowboys and Devil House

Was 18 in the summer of 83’.   Spent a few nights at “teen night” at the Devil House that summer, learning the ropes.  😉🤣

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Delw said:

Yup. Had a membership for a while. The mall was Park Central. I believe it was the first one in Phoenix. Would eat at Miracle Mile and also bought some goodies at Kerr Sporting Goods. 

Cool on the wedding. 👍

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

The mall was Park Central. I believe it was the first one in Phoenix. Would eat at Miracle Mile and also bought some goodies at Kerr Sporting Goods. 

Thats it Miraicle mile I was thinkiing the nickle pickle I know my wife liked both of those places alot. she claimed they had the best patty melts in the world there.

nickle pickle I think was in the mall on 59th and northern before the tore it down

12 hours ago, Delw said:

Thats it Miraicle mile I was thinkiing the nickle pickle I know my wife liked both of those places alot. she claimed they had the best patty melts in the world there.

nickle pickle I think was in the mall on 59th and northern before the tore it down

My fav at MM was the heaped cornbeef sandwiches. I wasn't familiar with the NP at all. 

Miracle Mile is STILL awesome!!!   After closing at Park Central they moved to Colonnade for a bit, and are now in a free standing building at 16th Street & Campbell. ;)     The Straw sandwich is the best!

Another Central Ave. tenant was Karsh's Bakery, between Camelback & Indian School, that later moved to either 7th or 16th street.  Whenever we had large family gatherings, this is the place we went for rolls and rye bread. 

On 11/17/2020 at 9:42 PM, 360 0r Better said:

Going back a little further anybody remember The Hayloft on Glendale and 44thAve? It was an old barn converted into a bar and dance hall with live country music. It was owned by a Glendale native some of you may have heard of him Marty Robbins ring a bell. I remember one night after it closed for the night hanging around and watching some country legends jam for a couple hours just having fun, Waylon, Willie and Marty boy what a memory.

dang, I bet there was a lot of easy chicks there. 

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Another Central Ave. tenant was Karsh's Bakery, between Camelback & Indian School, that later moved to either 7th or 16th street.  Whenever we had large family gatherings, this is the place we went for rolls and rye bread. 

Karsh's was still around in like 2012 or so because my mom bought a lot stuff there for a wedding party. It's be closed now, however. 

BTW, Happy Birthday.

23 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

Karsh's was still around in like 2012 or so because my mom bought a lot stuff there for a wedding party. It's be closed now, however. 

BTW, Happy Birthday.

Thank you. 

On 11/17/2020 at 9:04 PM, Pine Donkey said:

Peeps

I remember all of us driving from Scottsdale, when we were in high school to sneak into Peeps.  "where your old lady can't find you"