Sign in to follow this  
Nebraska402

143 eldx

Pretty common for the eldx. Recovered several that were just a cup and shrapnel.

Have also pulled out 2 out of 2 different elk that you could have dropped back in a casing and loaded. Bullet did nothing. Not my favorite for anything bigger than a deer at this point.  

18 minutes ago, jdown said:

Have also pulled out 2 out of 2 different elk that you could have dropped back in a casing and loaded. Bullet did nothing. Not my favorite for anything bigger than a deer at this point.  

Obviously the elk died...how many shots did it take? Shot placement? Hit any bones?

• Like 1

I have several recovered bullets that look like that. They are Sierra GK bullets from 30-06 and 270. Since the Elk or Deer shot died soon after being hit and the bullet and copper jacket was under the skin on the off side I never considered it a failure. Did your son's deer drop soon after being hit? What was the range?  The lead portion of the bullet looks nicely mushroomed like it should. Deer died, bullet did not fragment/shatter so not seeing a 'failure' here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Obviously the elk died...how many shots did it take? Shot placement? Hit any bones?

One found in the neck and one found in opposite shoulder.  Both took a 2nd shot (not recovered bullets). I honestly can't remember the travel, but was surprised no mushrooming or expansion at all.  We have recovered many bullets over the years like most of you with the exception of a partition that missed all bones, this was the first I can recall where the exit (had it exited) would have been the same diameter as the entrance after passing through a fairly heavy skinned animal.   I'm sure there are many instance where they blew a hole in the size of a Buick too, just sharing these two did not perform as well as I would have expected. On the flip side, I think we are deer 5 and bear 1 now with bergers this year and last and all I can say is yuck to the internal damage.    

If the deer is dead, did the bullet fail? I prefer rapid expansion on deer. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, oz31p said:

What’s  an “anchor shot”?

I would guess that he "anchored" the deer, as in dead right there.

Also commented to follow this post out of curiosity as I have taken 3 "anchor shots" on 3 different animals in the past year with this bullet from 90-400 yards with a slow little creedmoor.

4 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

I have several recovered bullets that look like that. They are Sierra GK bullets from 30-06 and 270. Since the Elk or Deer shot died soon after being hit and the bullet and copper jacket was under the skin on the off side I never considered it a failure. Did your son's deer drop soon after being hit? What was the range?  The lead portion of the bullet looks nicely mushroomed like it should. Deer died, bullet did not fragment/shatter so not seeing a 'failure' here.

My son shot a cow elk in the shoulder one year with a 140 grain Partition out of a 6.5x55. Shoulder shot and the bullet exploded. Cow went 40 yards and piled. Emailed Nosler and their response was " terminal ballistics are difficult to replicate, the elk was recovered, bullet did its job." 

Ive found ballistic tips perfectly mushroomed and Trophy bonded bear claws in pieces. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bigorange said:

Haven’t seen this, but didn’t recover the bullet from the only deer killed with my daughter’s rifle so far...what range?

Range was 150.