Sign in to follow this  
UggRedBilly

What caliber should I buy?

1 hour ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

7mm rem mag with a brake and be done 

you don't really even need a brake in my opinion.  I can shoot my 7mag comfortably.  if you go up in caliber from there I can see a brake having greater utility.

There is a really nice Ruger 300 WM Hawkeye with a break for sale here on CWT that will do everything and more your asking.....just saying.

My kids have shot it with no complaints!!!!

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

There is a really nice Ruger 300 WM Hawkeye with a break for sale here on CWT that will do everything and more your asking.....just saying.

My kids have shot it with no complaints!!!!

What part of the forums? I couldnt find it

Classifieds

2 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Thanks guys. Its lookin like a 308 may be a good enough gun for the next while!

Great choice. Any of the standard calibers are excellent, 270 win, 280 rem, 3006 spr. or 308 win.

The last bull elk I shot with my 3006 spr. dropped within 30 yards the 308 win works just as well. 

Now that the 6.5 is crazy popular ammo manufacturers have really made it an all around caliber.  That puts it right next to the 7-08 which is a great all around caliber. You can go from 130 to 147 grain bullets and the 147 match that hornady makes are great performers.   Last 2 hunts we were on the 147 put an almost 2" exit hole on my daughter's muley.  My sons cow had a nice entrance and we could feel the bullet under the hide on the opposite side. That means it spent all of its energy in the boiler room where You want it. She probably went less the 20 yards.  

Your size frame I would recommend the 6.5.  And as far as the best value for the money spent there's probably not a better shooting 6.5 then the ruger American predator.  It's gonna be the best in its class for value and comes pre threaded for a brake or silencer.  

If you must have a heavier caliber my next favorite would be a 7 mag. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Now that the 6.5 is crazy popular ammo manufacturers have really made it an all around caliber.  That puts it right next to the 7-08 which is a great all around caliber. You can go from 130 to 147 grain bullets and the 147 match that hornady makes are great performers.   Last 2 hunts we were on the 147 put an almost 2" exit hole on my daughter's muley.  My sons cow had a nice entrance and we could feel the bullet under the hide on the opposite side. That means it spent all of its energy in the boiler room where You want it. She probably went less the 20 yards.  

Your size frame I would recommend the 6.5.  And as far as the best value for the money spent there's probably not a better shooting 6.5 then the ruger American predator.  It's gonna be the best in its class for value and comes pre threaded for a brake or silencer.  

If you must have a heavier caliber my next favorite would be a 7 mag. 

I'll check that out!

Billy,

I'm not going to read all the comments. You need more than one rifle, sure you can "get by" with a 30.06 with factory loads from 55 grains (in a sabot) to 125gr always up to 220gr. Keep the 243 and get another rifle, or two.

I have most of the usual calibers up to and including 7Mag, 45-70 and 375 Winchester and H&H Magnum. I hate to jump on the 6.5 CM bandwagon but it is complimented with a lot of great bullets and has light recoil. No problem buying one where it can be under 8 pounds with a scope. Personally I prefer a rifle a pound or more less than that.  I'm in the east valley so let me know if you want to shoot any of the rounds mentioned, cept the 6.5 as I don't have one of those. It probably just kicks not much more than a 243.

Do you have any interest in reloading?

10 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Billy,

I'm not going to read all the comments. You need more than one rifle, sure you can "get by" with a 30.06 with factory loads from 55 grains (in a sabot) to 125gr always up to 220gr. Keep the 243 and get another rifle, or two.

I have most of the usual calibers up to and including 7Mag, 45-70 and 375 Winchester and H&H Magnum. I hate to jump on the 6.5 CM bandwagon but it is complimented with a lot of great bullets and has light recoil. No problem buying one where it can be under 8 pounds with a scope. Personally I prefer a rifle a pound or more less than that.  I'm in the east valley so let me know if you want to shoot any of the rounds mentioned, cept the 6.5 as I don't have one of those. It probably just kicks not much more than a 243.

Do you have any interest in reloading?

I have wanted to learn how too! I am not ready money wise to get into due to moving out of my parents house this summer! But I am going to start this next up comming summer!

5 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

I have wanted to learn how too! I am not ready money wise to get into due to moving out of my parents house this summer! But I am going to start this next up comming summer!

Well I'll give you enough to get you started once you get settled in. Dies, scales and a press. Save your brass from here on out, and start reading up on reloading.

https://www.wolfeoutdoorsports.com/handloader-subscription/