Sign in to follow this  
peckl1

Collared Dove

Had this bird in my yard today. Anyone know if it is one of those european doves?

post-88-1217028388_thumb.jpg

Lee

You got it, thats a Eurasian Collared dove. We've had em in the White mountains for at least 5 years. That one there is a young one...Their usually a little larger than that one..

Ron

I have quite a few of them around my house. I also have chickens, and a 165 gallon pond in my back yar so I think they come often for feed and water. They are pretty big!

You can hunt them year round and there is no bag limit.

I live in queen creek in a citrus grove and they are all over the place. Almost more of them than the regular doves. I am going to start cappin em with my pellet gun! Nothin like urban hunting!!!

There are tons in the Globe/Safford area. I have been wanting to hunt them for awhile, but they are in neighborhoods mostly, so it's tough to figure a way to do it. If someone cooks one up, let me know how they taste. Seems like they would be as good as any dove and of good size.

Amanda

Saw a couple once here on the east side of Tucson this past spring. You can hunt them year round but like Amanda mentioned its hard to find them anywhere away far enough from a house.

weve got em all over out here in queen creek....i usually get at least one a day with my pellet gun

Hey Amanda,

I have shot a few of them here in NM and they taste good. If you like mourning dove, you'll like these even better. They are a little bit lighter meated than both mourning and white-wings.

Travis

been shooting them for years now in TX.. They are good to eat. On some days back home, I've taken a donzen or more of them on top of my limit of mourning and whitewings!!!

I am starting to see a lot of them around where I live.

Do they cross breed with the mourning or whitewings? I didn't check, but do you need the migratory bird stamp before shooting them?

post-53-1217221813_thumb.jpg

I am starting to see a lot of them around where I live.

Do they cross breed with the mourning or whitewings? I didn't check, but do you need the migratory bird stamp before shooting them?

The stamp is not required, but you are supposed to still leave a feathered wing on it until you reached final desitination. I have not heard of them cross breeding with other doves. They seem to be prolific breeders on their own.

http://www.azgfd.gov/artman/publish/article_887.shtml

Amanda

Ive been wondering how they were to eat, thanks for the info everyone. I guess its time to break out the pellet gun here at the house. Population has increased about 10 fold since last year here in Paulden/Chino Valley. Time to start getting reimbursed for all the hen scratch they've eaten.