Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckfever

2021 buck opening morning

My target archery friend who has never hunted before , decided he wanted to try for an OTC deer in august 2020.  I took him to a few waterholes I knew and I helped him with the basics.  He sat a tank for days and never saw one deer, so I sat him at another tank and he had a large 4x4 mulie come in, but it never provided a shot he felt would be fatal so he had to watch it walk away.  About an hour later, a lone Coues buck (that he described as huge) came in and stood broadside at less than 30 yards.  He clinked his arrow against the bow while drawing and it took off, leaving him with just the experience.  He was pretty stoked and has been ready for another go. 

I couldn't go this past week, but he found his own spot with a nice tank that wasn't dry and he got his blind set up on Dec. 31st.  At about 9:30 am on Jan 1st, 4 does and 3 bucks came in to his tank.  He not only got the big one of the group, but he had mounted a camera to his bow and captured the shot. (He didn't tell me he had video till later-the sandbagger!!!)  I am pretty sure he's going to be chomping at the bit to go again.  I'll try to get a few better pics posted later.  

• Like 12
  • Wow! 1

Thats a cool vid. Congrats to your friend.

I dont know anything about blinds, but you can shoot through that mesh on the window?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Delw said:

I dont know anything about blinds, but you can shoot through that mesh on the window?

Fixed blades yes...some folks claim expandables work too but I wouldn’t try it. Also have to be careful about shooting too close to the window straps...learned that one the hard way on antelope hunt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delw said:

Thats a cool vid. Congrats to your friend.

Sounded like he was using a rifle?

I listen to it 5 times, is that a bow? 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Sounded like he was using a rifle?

I listen to it 5 times, is that a bow? 

It's a bow.  With the mesh in place it sounds pretty loud, but you can see the arrow.  He was using fixed blades.  It was a 25 yard shot and he double lunged him.  He said it went about 60 to 70 yards and dropped.  If he hadn't had the mesh in place, that doe would have identified him for sure.  There was a little snow in patches in the general area but I'm not sure about the ice. Everything  came together just right for him.

• Thanks 1