Sign in to follow this  
hime

Deer & Cattle

well put redneck. like i always say, opinion are like butts. everbody has one and all of em but mine stink. that's the way folks are getting with public land. and all the time we're fighting with each other, the huggers are sneakin' up on us. Lark.

I think the cattle have litle impact on the deer, in feeding areas. However, I have seen deer come to a tank and wait on the perimeter until the cattle left water holes. For some reason, unless really in need of water most of the bucks I have seen have waited for the cattle to leave tanks. So if I am sitting water, cattle do discourage me if they are around the tank.

ER

Just for my own ignorant simple mind. In regards to the picture posted with this thread.

Are you telling me the left side of the fence doesn't have any cattle on it and the right side does?

Yup...But I dont really give a rats butt if cattle are in there or not ;)

I could care less if there are cattle in there myself, but something was done to the left side besides no cattle being in there, maybe a rancher went in at one point and time and cleared the land so the grass had more of a chance of growing or a fire went through there......there is more to the story of that picture than just cattle........we have alot of country up here where the cedar trees have been dozed over to create more grass areas, done by ranchers dang them anyway....which elk and deer and antelope and yeah.....cattle all benefit from.

Oh, now we have the issue of dozing cedar trees right???? :blink: :blink: :blink:

Speaking of rats a$$, I trapped my sons hamster in the mouse trap last week trying to catch the mouse my wife saw run across the livingroom floor.....sad day for the hamster, but of course they are probably imported anyway so good ridance.....lets get rid of all the imported little rodents....

I hunt in an area with a fairly good population of cows. ( darn things take up quite a bit of space on my trail cams) Other than that i see little if any affect on what the couse are doing, bucks or does.

How did I miss this thread? It's been my experience, that cows may push WT on occasion, but mulies and elk don't mind. I've found that elk push the deer more than cows, but that's due to the fact that elk can reach higher into trees for food than cows. I have an elk spot where you can see where the elk graze up a ridge, and there's little deer sign, but on the other side of the ridge, there's deer everywhere.

Just thought I would add my experience form this past weekend. I was collecting mule deer pellets for a project I’m working on and I want to an area that I had seen lots of mulies during the winter. Walked around for a couple of hours without finding a single pellet. There were lots of cows in the pasture, grazed it pretty good to, but I thought they would have little impact but I was wrong I guess. I was heading back to the truck I walked right up on a doe at 10 yards. I was able to get that close because there were a few cows on the other side of her about 40 yards away. I guess she was busy watching them.

Still I wasn’t finding any pellets so I moved to another pasture with little cow sign and boy did I ever find pellets. 20 sample in about 1.5 hours. Not sure if they were there because of other reasons but they were there and not in the grazed areas with the cows.

post-1770-1222311558_thumb.jpg

dang, you have a rotten job. how much does a $h!t collector make these days? man, i apologize, i couldn't help myself. somebody slap me. Lark.

I remember when our public lands truly were overgrazed, and I never felt that mule deer or whitetails avoided pastures or changed their habits when cattle were present. Elk are another story, though.

This past August I was seeing more than 300 elk every time I visited a certain knoll near Greer on my weekly elk-counting jaunts. When 50 or more herefords were turned out there, those elk moved overnight.

Bill Quimby

I remember when our public lands truly were overgrazed, and I never felt that mule deer or whitetails avoided pastures or changed their habits when cattle were present. Elk are another story, though.

This past August I was seeing more than 300 elk every time I visited a certain knoll near Greer on my weekly elk-counting jaunts. When 50 or more herefords were turned out there, those elk moved overnight.

Bill Quimby

I do have to say that this area I was in is heavly managed for grazing. They rotate the cows often giving the plants a chance to grow back. I always know if the cows are in one pasture I can just move to the next.

O' and I'm not getting payed to pick up the crap... I'm acualy paying to pick it up. :rolleyes: Its for school.

Wanna hear my opinion?? Well you're gonna hear it anyways..

If you want to run cows, do it on your own damned property. If you want to graze it to the dirt, fine.. just dont do it on the public's land. The National Forests, State Land, and BLM land are ALL OF OUR LANDS, not your private grazing property!! And not all of us want your destructive livestock running unchecked on it.

I took this photo a couple of years back and sent it to the Western Gamebird Alliance. I walked that grazed canyon for over an hr and never even saw sign of a single quail. Jumped the fence and whaddya know, found 3 coveys within 200 yards back on the side sans cattle.. Just so happened that the WGA was in a courtcase against a rancher for overgrazing public lands.. I sent the photo to Dave Lukens (WGA President) and gave hm exact locations. WGA won and the next year, whaddya know, there was no cows anywhere to be found, the grass was back waist high and there was quail back in there!!

pics024.jpg

I know that this is a pissing match over deer and cows, but just remember, there are alot other species that are impacted by the presence of cattle besides deer. But then again, Im a little biased.. I am a 4th generation dyed in the wool bird dog owner and die hard quail lover and hunter through and through!! Those little birds mean a little more to me than a bunch of range maggots.;)

If you want to run cows, do it on your own damned property. If you want to graze it to the dirt, fine.. just dont do it on the public's land. The National Forests, State Land, and BLM land are ALL OF OUR LANDS, not your private grazing property!! And not all of us want your destructive livestock running unchecked on it.

Scottboy!

Where were you last month when these welfare rancher lovers were ripping me apart on this thread??!!

Mark

Scottboy!

Where were you last month when these welfare rancher lovers were ripping me apart on this thread??!!

Mark

+1

But I don't want to talk about women's sanitary products again!

Bob