Sign in to follow this  
TR0UBLE SH00TER

Tag transfer question for anyone with experience.

1 minute ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

I was confused by the wording. I interpreted it to say that the same parent that donated the tag had to be on the hunt 

and within 50 yards. Meaning, my wife would need to be in the field with him. I would not have put her in the draw

under those circumstances.

I knew it was legal cause we did it with our kids, but grandpa and The Warden never got drawn. but I got drawn alot for elk and lopes so I passed mine to them.

then I read the rules and didnt see it I was like WTF. reread them slowly and saw the OR .

One thing I didnt know/ paid attention too was the 50 yard rule as my kid would take off and go hunting while I enjoyed a nap, or she would walk for ever up and down canyons that I wouldnt hike cause as she said "I was too old."

now that the kids are all grown up I will be able to pull the trigger or release the bow on something providing I get drawn. even if you get drawn pass all your tags to your kids, that the most fun hunting EVER.. we always put in the kids Separate gives a better chance of getting a tag. I passed over 1 lope tag 2 north rim deer tags 12b and 13a and 1 late rifle bull unit 9 tag and 3 early unit 8 archery bull tags to our kids. best thing I ever did in my entire life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delw said:

I knew it was legal cause we did it with our kids, but grandpa and The Warden never got drawn. but I got drawn alot for elk and lopes so I passed mine to them.

then I read the rules and didnt see it I was like WTF. reread them slowly and saw the OR .

One thing I didnt know/ paid attention too was the 50 yard rule as my kid would take off and go hunting while I enjoyed a nap, or she would walk for ever up and down canyons that I wouldnt hike cause as she said "I was too old."

now that the kids are all grown up I will be able to pull the trigger or release the bow on something providing I get drawn. even if you get drawn pass all your tags to your kids, that the most fun hunting EVER.. we always put in the kids Separate gives a better chance of getting a tag. I passed over 1 lope tag 2 north rim deer tags 12b and 13a and 1 late rifle bull unit 9 tag and 3 early unit 8 archery bull tags to our kids. best thing I ever did in my entire life.

I love to hear that kind of stuff man, it's really inspirational!

My son has hunted squirrel, rabbit, quail and duck for two years. But now that he has a javelina hunt starting Friday

I've never seen him more excited about hunting than he is to finally start big game hunting.

We've been watching this hog for a while now: 

IMG_5205.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

I was confused by the wording. I interpreted it to say that the same parent that donated the tag had to be on the hunt 

and within 50 yards. Meaning, my wife would need to be in the field with him. I would not have put her in the draw

under those circumstances.

same here..... 'Aunt Maude' was chosen for illustration purposes only.  Grandma Maude could be blind, wheelchair bound and in an oxygen tent,  but allowed to apply for a tag as long as she has  a license is and then transfer it to the kiddie is what I am reading?

BTW, I think Aunt Maude was a character from the Wallace and Ladmo show if I  recall correctly?.. for those of you who grew up here and are of a few years like myself?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

same here..... 'Aunt Maude' was chosen for illustration purposes only.  Grandma Maude could be blind, wheelchair bound and in an oxygen tent,  but allowed to apply for a tag as long as she has  a license is and then transfer it to the kiddie is what I am reading?

BTW, I think Aunt Maude was a character from the Wallace and Ladmo show if I  recall correctly?.. for those of you who grew up here and are of a few years like myself?

Yep! Great show!

14 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Yes, that seems to be the case. Apparently Grandma Maude doesn't have to be in the field at all (thankfully, given her health restrictions...), another parent is fine.

33 minutes ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

I love to hear that kind of stuff man, it's really inspirational!

My son has hunted squirrel, rabbit, quail and duck for two years. But now that he has a javelina hunt starting Friday

I've never seen him more excited about hunting than he is to finally start big game hunting.

We've been watching this hog for a while now: 

IMG_5205.jpg

Thats cool. he should do fine.

only warning I have is kids dont know when to quit. meaning your going to hang around them the whole time and you dont have the energy that kids have. I mean they will hunt all day long and not rest then the next day and the next day. your going to be dragging no matter how good of shape your in.

I do recommend you give them some survival techniques so to speak. cause you will get split up. at the age of 8-9 my Daughters were were carrying a 22 pistol and extra mags a knife lighter space blanket 50# feet of paracord in her day pack obviously water too., teach them to keep an eye out on landmarks and show them the roads on a map and those landmarks compared to where you are. tell them to walk a straight line and not walk in circles. also teach them to drive cause if your out in the booneys and something happens to you your kid is screwed. you dont need to tell the wife cause they just get nervous and bitchy about them by themselves having a knife and pistol.. also tell them how to make a makeshift cover to stay dry and warm if they do get lost. tech them tokeep and eye on fence lines also as they can follow one if they get disorientated.

My wife about $hit bricks when she found out our kid was going on hikes while I doozed off, or that I let them drive on dirt roads when they can barley reach the pedals(we always hid the keys in a place outside the truck just incase or give them a set of extra keys) and them them have a pistol and knife in there backpack. at a young age. Maybe because they were daughters I dont know. but the kids will tell them by mistake or it will slip out the Wives always find out. I dont mean to have your kid lie to there mom just dont offer any information thats unless asked.

Also remember celphones dont always work in the woods so dont rely on them.

the next 7 years of your life is going to be the most fun ever with your kid out in the field. to the point where when they dont hunt with you its boring.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Delw said:

Thats cool. he should do fine.

only warning I have is kids dont know when to quit. meaning your going to hang around them the whole time and you dont have the energy that kids have. I mean they will hunt all day long and not rest then the next day and the next day. your going to be dragging no matter how good of shape your in.

I do recommend you give them some survival techniques so to speak. cause you will get split up. at the age of 8-9 my Daughters were were carrying a 22 pistol and extra mags a knife lighter space blanket 50# feet of paracord in her day pack obviously water too., teach them to keep an eye out on landmarks and show them the roads on a map and those landmarks compared to where you are. tell them to walk a straight line and not walk in circles. also teach them to drive cause if your out in the booneys and something happens to you your kid is screwed. you dont need to tell the wife cause they just get nervous and bitchy about them by themselves having a knife and pistol.. also tell them how to make a makeshift cover to stay dry and warm if they do get lost. tech them tokeep and eye on fence lines also as they can follow one if they get disorientated.

My wife about $hit bricks when she found out our kid was going on hikes while I doozed off, or that I let them drive on dirt roads when they can barley reach the pedals(we always hid the keys in a place outside the truck just incase or give them a set of extra keys) and them them have a pistol and knife in there backpack. at a young age. Maybe because they were daughters I dont know. but the kids will tell them by mistake or it will slip out the Wives always find out. I dont mean to have your kid lie to there mom just dont offer any information thats unless asked.

Also remember celphones dont always work in the woods so dont rely on them.

the next 7 years of your life is going to be the most fun ever with your kid out in the field. to the point where when they dont hunt with you its boring.

Good stuff, man.

We are really close and there is already unspoken rules about "What Mom doesn't know won't hurt her".

I have a three year old son as well so my years in the field with them has just really begun. We camp a

few months out of the year so my ten year old is very acclimated with being out in nature and he's

very interested in survival techniques. But you can never be too safe, that's for sure.

Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flatlander said:

A parent or guardian has to be there, not necessarily the transferring parent. I have done this.

This is correct.  A licensed parent or legal guardian has to accompany the minor child, but not necessarily the parent or grandparent that originally drew the tag.

My wife drew a tag once and signed it over to my daughter, and I accompanied her in the field to hunt.

• Like 1

For years I put myself, father in law, and daughter all in for deer, separately.  Basically it was 3 chances for her to get a tag.  Ive transferred a couple of my tags to her, and my father in law has done the same.  Out of 6 years there was only 1 year we didnt get to hunt.  Its a great opportunity for the kids.

• Like 3

A parent, grandparent or legal guardian may allow the parent’s, grandparent’s or guardian’s minor child or minor grandchild to use the parent’s, grandparent’s or guardian’s big game permit or tag to take big game pursuant to the following requirements: • The parent, grandparent or guardian must transfer the permit or tag to the child in a manner prescribed by the Commission. • The child receiving the permit or tag must be accompanied by a parent, grandparent or guardian when in the field. • The child must possess a valid hunting license and, if under 14 years of age, must satisfactorily complete the Arizona hunter education course or another comparable hunter education course that is approved by the Director before participating in the hunt. • Any big game that is taken counts toward the child’s bag limit. Once a tag is transferred at a Department office, the original permittee may no longer use it. Visit www.azgfd.gov/hunting and scroll to the additional hunting information. There you will find a link titled “Tag Transfer.” Organizations you can donate your tag to are listed on the page.

• Like 1

The new tag does not indicate who originally drew the tag. Parent or legal guardian needs to be with the child in the field. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 10:15 AM, trphyhntr said:

What if I identify as a 17 year old, can my dad still pass it down? 

If you are a wounded warrior or minor with a terminal illness, you could qualify also and the guardian is not required. 

That part about the guardian not being the drawn person is a pretty funny loophole.  So Gramps don't have to go out with the grandkid?  Well, thank you for tidbit!

• Like 1