joe hunter

Unit 27 outfitter

18 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

If you start applying for a strip tag today with a Hunter's Ed bonus point how many years of "Doing your time" would it take to get a tag?

Unless I'm missing something, it could be as short as one year, no? 

I don’t think people have ever sat down to do the math on some of the stuff they put in for.  My current draw strategy is trying to work out and work on my mobility and range of motion.  No joke.  I’ve come to the conclusion that to draw a lot of the tags I started putting in for 10-15 years ago that I figured I’d draw in 20 years are all going to be 30-40 years out.  Not because the supply will finally catch up with the demand, but simply because I will have to outlive all of the people in tiers around and above me and still be physically able to go on the hunt.  It seems crazy but there will be people that die with 50-60 points for a lot of tags and never see them, myself included (god willing).  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Flatlander said:

If you start applying for a strip tag today with a Hunter's Ed bonus point how many years of "Doing your time" would it take to get a tag?

Is it going to make doing your time any faster by just doing a random draw. The majority of people are just going to be unlucky and again 80% of the tags are put into a random draw already.

5 hours ago, wildwoody said:

It worked great..

Statistically it didn't.  People were getting back in the draw after waiting their 3 years and getting drawn again before people who hadn't drawn a first time.  That's why the AZGFD ditched the 3 year wait.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Speaking from experience. Eight years for archery. 

On 4/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, 654321 said:

I believe the Governor set up a committee and they have 12 months to decide.  Outfitters and ranchers are lobbying hard to keep it the way it is and of course residents want the 90/10 split.  They're also looking pretty hard at a pretty steep increase to NR tag prices. I believe antelope would go from like $346 to around $600.

I cashed in 11 Elk points in Wyoming this year. Was in no mans land and will be 65 I wasn't waiting any longer to get nowhere!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, naturebob said:

I cashed in 11 Elk points in Wyoming this year. Was in no mans land and will be 65 I wasn't waiting any longer to get nowhere!

Where you going?  I’m one behind max.  Missed one back in college one year and I’ve been regretting it ever since!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 654321 said:

Is it going to make doing your time any faster by just doing a random draw. The majority of people are just going to be unlucky and again 80% of the tags are put into a random draw already.

I don’t need you to agree with me. 

I don't like the idea of creating an illusion that if people just put in long enough they will somehow earn a tag.  If we just went random then a small portion of applicants would have lower odds and many more would have better odds. There would be no more “playing the point game” or building points for non-hunters so you could apply as a party. I am sick of all the barriers and games and “strategy articles”. It just advances the commercialization of hunting. I just don’t love it.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

I don’t need you to agree with me. 

I don't like the idea of creating an illusion that if people just put in long enough they will somehow earn a tag.  If we just went random then a small portion of applicants would have lower odds and many more would have better odds. There would be no more “playing the point game” or building points for non-hunters so you could apply as a party. I am sick of all the barriers and games and “strategy articles”. It just advances the commercialization of hunting. I just don’t love it.

I think your logic about many more would have better odds is a little flawed, if its  pure random wouldn't every one have equal odds no one better than the other. As for the commercialization of hunting that ship sailed, high end optics, long range guns, range finders super fast bows, raffle tags, auction tags, tags donated to non-profit tags and the guiding industry just to name a few, but it's all good I also don't need you to agree with me. You always have New Mexico and Idaho I don't believe either of those states have a bonus point system. 

27 minutes ago, 654321 said:

I think your logic about many more would have better odds is a little flawed, if its  pure random wouldn't every one have equal odds no one better than the other.

You always have New Mexico and Idaho I don't believe either of those states have a bonus point system. 

Better odds compared to now. But thanks for trying to follow.

I have an ID lifetime license. Apply there when I want to hunt, when I don’t want to I don’t have to buy a stupid point for that adds little value. Still have resident odds. Definitely worth it.

14 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Better odds compared to now. But thanks for trying to follow.

I have an ID lifetime license. Apply there when I want to hunt, when I don’t want to I don’t have to buy a stupid point for that adds little value. Still have resident odds. Definitely worth it.

You still haven't shown how the odds are better with a random draw as opposed to AZ's 80% random draw but thanks for trying to follow along.  If you actually put in for a hunt number I don't see where you're buying a stupid point you're still going to pay the app fee so it's nice to know you get something for it.  As for ID that's awesome you still have resident odds but I'll bet money if your putting in for their sought after hunts you're not hunting those every year.

1 hour ago, 654321 said:

You still haven't shown how the odds are better with a random draw as opposed to AZ's 80% random draw but thanks for trying to follow along.  If you actually put in for a hunt number I don't see where you're buying a stupid point you're still going to pay the app fee so it's nice to know you get something for it.  As for ID that's awesome you still have resident odds but I'll bet money if your putting in for their sought after hunts you're not hunting those every year.

Yeah man, like I said, I don’t need you to agree with me and clearly you don’t know what I am saying so let’s just call it good. 

5 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Where you going?  I’m one behind max.  Missed one back in college one year and I’ve been regretting it ever since!  

Got 2 guys from  Detroit Lakes Min.That are taking Me to the Big Horns up on the Montana Border west of Sheridan . They know it and are taking me for useing a couple of My points. Not bad gig for me at 65 ,Younger Guys helping me out and Free tag.We will see how it works out! I could of done unit 7 solo but everything is on Private and a zillion tags. I wasn't paying 8-9 K for a 330 Bull!, Allready have a couple of them..........BOB!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, naturebob said:

Got 2 guys from  Detroit Lakes Min.That are taking Me to the Big Horns up on the Montana Border west of Sheridan . They know it and are taking me for useing a couple of My points. Not bad gig for me at 65 ,Younger Guys helping me out and Free tag.We will see how it works out! I could of done unit 7 solo but everything is on Private and a zillion tags. I wasn't paying 8-9 K for a 330 Bull!, Allready have a couple of them..........BOB!

There’s some good bulls in the bighorns from what I’ve heard!  Good luck.  Having someone with know how is worth the points!  I worked in Detroit lakes my first year out of school, couldn’t wait to get out of there!!  You think ND is cold and gray in the winter, try spending a winter in MN!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 654321 said:

I think your logic about many more would have better odds is a little flawed, if its  pure random wouldn't every one have equal odds no one better than the other. As for the commercialization of hunting that ship sailed, high end optics, long range guns, range finders super fast bows, raffle tags, auction tags, tags donated to non-profit tags and the guiding industry just to name a few, but it's all good I also don't need you to agree with me. You always have New Mexico and Idaho I don't believe either of those states have a bonus point system. 

I think what he is trying to say....  correct me if I am wrong .... is if we didn't have bonus points  at all,  we all would get one raffle ticket apposed to some people having 10 raffle tickets in the same pot ... therefore it would be completely random and same odds every year for each person.

No dog in this fight ... fyi  

• Like 1