joe hunter

Unit 27 outfitter

21 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I don’t think people have ever sat down to do the math on some of the stuff they put in for.  My current draw strategy is trying to work out and work on my mobility and range of motion.  No joke.  I’ve come to the conclusion that to draw a lot of the tags I started putting in for 10-15 years ago that I figured I’d draw in 20 years are all going to be 30-40 years out.  Not because the supply will finally catch up with the demand, but simply because I will have to outlive all of the people in tiers around and above me and still be physically able to go on the hunt.  It seems crazy but there will be people that die with 50-60 points for a lot of tags and never see them, myself included (god willing).  

I don't think it will ever happen, but if they had some type of a scale based on age first and then amount of points they could have a complicated and possibly sliding scale that could help older applicants. They could also set aside some premium tags for applicants over a certain age and in my opinion also with at least 10 bonus points. Obviously, no putting somebody else on the application without the same qualifications. That would definitely help the aging hunters that have waited and built bonus points. I do think the 3-year waiting period could also help just a little bit, and we all know every little bit helps.

• Like 2

A mandatory wait would definitely help. I wish they’d go 10 years of applying for bighorn and rifle antelope before you are considered for the draw. 

• Like 3

I've stated several times. Waiting period, let them buy BP'S

LIKE EXTRA CASH FOR G&F

Still sell all tags and guys build bp's. So when they are eligible, shouldn't be as long a wait

Do it for all species!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, naturebob said:

Got 2 guys from  Detroit Lakes Min.That are taking Me to the Big Horns up on the Montana Border west of Sheridan . They know it and are taking me for useing a couple of My points. Not bad gig for me at 65 ,Younger Guys helping me out and Free tag.We will see how it works out! I could of done unit 7 solo but everything is on Private and a zillion tags. I wasn't paying 8-9 K for a 330 Bull!, Allready have a couple of them..........BOB!

Good for you Bob.! Sounds great!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Azdiy said:

I don't think it will ever happen, but if they had some type of a scale based on age first and then amount of points they could have a complicated and possibly sliding scale that could help older applicants. They could also set aside some premium tags for applicants over a certain age and in my opinion also with at least 10 bonus points. Obviously, no putting somebody else on the application without the same qualifications. That would definitely help the aging hunters that have waited and built bonus points. I do think the 3-year waiting period could also help just a little bit, and we all know every little bit helps.

Not a bad recommendation..... ya I've seen quite a few  of the old timers finally get their sheep tag and it's a very difficult hunt for them now.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Azdiy said:

So we should prioritize tags for people who got to hunt when Kaibab any deer tags were OTC and so were elk tags? I love my grandpa but...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Flatlander said:

So we should prioritize tags for people who got to hunt when Kaibab any deer tags were OTC and so were elk tags? I love my grandpa but...

so you'd sleep ok knowing a bunch of people that have dreamt about a sheep tag their whole life and never missed a year of applying would die before they get drawn if BP's were eliminated? All so kids and newbies can have a better chance of getting tags? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

so you'd sleep ok knowing a bunch of people that have dreamt about a sheep tag their whole life and never missed a year of applying would die before they get drawn if BP's were eliminated? All so kids and newbies can have a better chance of getting tags? 

Inevitably, some applicants will never get a tag so it’s not an either or scenario. And I don’t see the additional “deservedness” of one applicant having applied for one more year being commensurate with the difference in draw odds between max and one-off max. I know that it’s shitty to think that some people who have waited 40 years may never get to hunt. I would love it if we all could be guaranteed that possibility. But I also think it is equally as shitty for someone who is 25 today to apply for the next 60 years and never get to hunt, which absolutely will happen. There is no magic bullet. My opinion certainly will not be popular with those who have max or near max points, but it also isn’t only to benefit “kids and newbies”. It’s just my opinion, I don’t write any policies or rules so no need for anyone to get too bunched up over it.

• Like 2

Bonus Points are only good for one side

Game and Fish

They can get a NR to pay $175 for absolutely ZERO expenditure on their part. They even make you print out your own license.

Then, like a drug dealer, they have you hooked until you draw a tag. Paying year after year.

New Mexico and Idaho never fell for the scam. 

59 minutes ago, JSR said:

Bonus Points are only good for one side

Game and Fish

They can get a NR to pay $175 for absolutely ZERO expenditure on their part. They even make you print out your own license.

Then, like a drug dealer, they have you hooked until you draw a tag. Paying year after year.

New Mexico and Idaho never fell for the scam. 

You pay an application fee and have to buy a license for a shot at a random tag every year but unlike a drug dealer you get nothing for your transaction.   In Az. you do the exact same thing except you at least get something for your transaction( bonus point) and for most species you will eventually draw a tag, can't same the same for NM or Idaho.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 654321 said:

You pay an application fee and have to buy a license for a shot at a random tag every year but unlike a drug dealer you get nothing for your transaction.   In Az. you do the exact same thing except you at least get something for your transaction( bonus point) and for most species you will eventually draw a tag, can't same the same for NM or Idaho.

There are 160,000+ bonus points issued right now for deer alone.

There are 134,000+ for antelope

There are 155,000+ for Elk

There are 150,000+ for turkey

There are 152,000+ for javelina (hahahahah)

There are 141,000+ for sheep

total - over 892,000

I would say, until you are in the max pool, you have virtually the same chance to draw a tag with 1 or zero points as you do with 1 or 2 under max. 

Unless you started buying many years ago, you will never be in the max pool for the most popular units.

New people entering the system are paying the same as everyone else and getting a very small fraction of the value.

Once you draw a tag, you (and I) will also be in their situation.

1 hour ago, JSR said:

total - over 892,000

I would say, until you are in the max pool, you have virtually the same chance to draw a tag with 1 or zero points as you do with 1 or 2 under max. 

Unless you started buying many years ago, you will never be in the max pool for the most popular units.

New people entering the system are paying the same as everyone else and getting a very small fraction of the value.

My point is it doesn’t cost you anything more in Az as it does in ID or NM. You still pay for a license and app fee, so what is the negative of having a bonus point system. 80% of Az tags are a random draw

On 5/12/2021 at 12:54 PM, JSR said:

total - over 892,000

Frankly, this isn't true at all.