Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckfever

Close encounter with an F-22 fighter jet

Before I quit playing golf, my regular Tues round was with the men's club at Falcon Golf Course, which was right next to Luke about where I had dove hunted 50+ years earlier. About 8 a.m. the jets would begin launching in pairs, and that would continue for at least 15-20 mins. It wasn't quite as loud as having them fly directly overhead, but it made communicating difficult for a while. 

• Like 1

All my low level Navy flying was over the N Pacific Ocean, never had a chance to fly close over the land. Only people who had a chance to see us were the Russian sub's we were tracking.

5D7AC0FF-A1B0-48FB-90BA-120745A69A60.jpeg

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

All my low level Navy flying was over the N Pacific Ocean, never had a chance to fly close over the land. Only people who had a chance to see us were the Russian sub's we were tracking.

5D7AC0FF-A1B0-48FB-90BA-120745A69A60.jpeg

Thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Before I quit playing golf, my regular Tues round was with the men's club at Falcon Golf Course, which was right next to Luke about where I had dove hunted 50+ years earlier. About 8 a.m. the jets would begin launching in pairs, and that would continue for at least 15-20 mins. It wasn't quite as loud as having them fly directly overhead, but it made communicating difficult for a while. 

LoL. Prior to the course being built, Luke AFB had the dubious reputation of being the only CONUS air base with no golf course. It was a big, big deal among the brass and enlisted. As some compensation, those stationed there could play free at any public course.

This thread is really making me reminisce on my duties at the bombing range, Gila Bend. I saw and worked with every attack and bomber aircraft in the NATO arsenal. Only aircraft I would never see were the B-52s but their effects were certainly felt.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Edge said:

LoL. Prior to the course being built, Luke AFB had the dubious reputation of being the only CONUS air base with no golf course. It was a big, big deal among the brass and enlisted. As some compensation, those stationed there could play free at any public course.

This thread is really making me reminisce on my duties at the bombing range, Gila Bend. I saw and worked with every attack and bomber aircraft in the NATO arsenal. Only aircraft I would never see were the B-52s but their effects were certainly felt.

I believe you're referring to Falcon Dunes, which is different than Falcon. FD, located on Northern Ave., is private for Luke personnel & guests only; Falcon, located on Camelback and now closed, was public. 

1 minute ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I believe you're referring to Falcon Dunes, which is different than Falcon. FD, located on Northern Ave., is private for Luke personnel & guests only; Falcon, located on Camelback and now closed, was public. 

Just tell me more stories about watching the Wright Flyer as you surf fished off Kitty hawk.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Edge said:

Just tell me more stories about watching the Wright Flyer as you surf fished off Kitty hawk.

Never been on the Kitty Hawk but have seen a lot of the "Wright Stuff" when I attended the U. of Dayton. I even dated a gal whose dad was stationed at WPAF base. 

My wife and I were below them when they flew by Azbowhntr this year.  I was video taping two bulls and saw a shadow hit me from above.

I knew what it was and braced for the fury.  It was awesome.  I head 50 yards back to Dulce and she was glassing while under a tree

so she didn't get to see them but was awestruck by the shockload.

I've been hunting bighorns in BGAFR and they love to ride those canyons low and fast.  It brings you to your knees!

My favorite is one time glassing through a draw and I see one break in and out of my FOV fast!  I hear it three seconds later.  AWESOME!

• Like 3

My office in Tempe is off of Priest and I can hear the fighter jets when they take off and will rush outside to see them wizz past. One year I watched one headed east and when it got as far as about Mill Ave the pilot stood it on end and went vertical and was out of site in about 20 seconds.

When I lived in Maine by Loring AFB the B52's would rattle the dishes in the kitchen on take off. My hunting buddy and I would hunt 29 a lot back in the 80's and 90's and more than once we would be up on top of Pothole and a fighter would come weaving through the canyons a few hundred feet below us.  One year the Navajo Nation did a Varmint Calling Contest so he and I went up there for it along with 28 teams from all over the west. While out calling on a snowy foggy day I head a jet coming and looked up to see a B1 appear out of the fog just about treetop level. In an instant it went past me and disappeared back into the fog.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Edge said:

F-22-and-F-35-Range.thumb.jpg.fb5f2bae85f5aff90262a12d89a1ca62.jpg

F 35 on top is a Luke bird. F 22 below it, Langley. Langley's VA AFB is the nearest F-22 base but they will visit AZ.

Nothing like getting buzzed by A-10s in a remote canyon while on a green horse.

Ive always been a plane nut myself.  But OP are you sure it was a 22??  Im betting it was a 35 since we do have them station here at Lukes. 

But when I was 17 years old I was hunting in 36A and I was on top of a mountain and I can see strait ahead of me.  Not much taller than me while standing on that mountain.  It got closer and closer and this F-16 went inverted like what happen to you.  Followed up with another F-16.  Still to this day the Viper is still my favorite Fighter jet   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke-BE said:

Ive always been a plane nut myself.  But OP are you sure it was a 22??  Im betting it was a 35 since we do have them station here at Lukes. 

But when I was 17 years old I was hunting in 36A and I was on top of a mountain and I can see strait ahead of me.  Not much taller than me while standing on that mountain.  It got closer and closer and this F-16 went inverted like what happen to you.  Followed up with another F-16.  Still to this day the Viper is still my favorite Fighter jet   

Love  the MiG-29 though but if I could sit in the co-pilot seat of any bird?  It would be the SR-71. It just doesn't get any better than that.

• Like 2

There was a couple jets that were taking off out of Williams yesterday afternoon, they weren’t fancy looking f35s but I was wondering what they were I tried to google them today.