UggRedBilly

Building a water catchment

Hey guys! So this Thursday I wanted to go out and try to build a water catchment in an area near by! Recently I had one of my favorite spots was used as a mud bog and I wanted to try and take that out of the equation. I saw a few forums in the past around 2010 asking the same thing and it was legal then, so is it still legal on public land? Also would I be allowed to drop a mineral lick?

I do not intend on hunting this spot, more of just a hobby to get cool photos of deer, javelinas, and even cardinals (pretty cool birds out there). Thank you!

You can drop a mineral lick pretty much anywhere you want. If cattle are near they will use it up quickly.  Its better to get the big bags of loose salt and dig a hole and mix it all in the dirt. Water it in if possible.  Dont know about a water catch.

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

You can drop a mineral lick pretty much anywhere you want. If cattle are near they will use it up quickly.  Its better to get the big bags of loose salt and dig a hole and mix it all in the dirt. Water it in if possible.  Dont know about a water catch.

Sounds good! Thank you!

No.  Is it your property?  Do you lease the property?  Putting out salt has to be a normal ranching situation.  Read the regs and it might be better if you dont post it on the internet.    

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThomC said:

No.  Is it your property?  Do you lease the property?  Putting out salt has to be a normal ranching situation.  Read the regs and it might be better if you dont post it on the internet.    

Where in the regs does it say that? I havent seen it yet and I just wanna see it in writing, I had a few others reach out and tell me that salt is allowed on public lands, and some even put out tubs and put their own water in it too. So I just wanna get a clear reading of it

2 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

Where in the regs does it say that? I havent seen it yet and I just wanna see it in writing, I had a few others reach out and tell me that salt is allowed on public lands, and some even put out tubs and put their own water in it too. So I just wanna get a clear reading of it

7. A person shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when: a. A person places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or b. A person knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location. 8. Subsection (A)(7) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties. 9. For the purposes of subsection (A)(7), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following: a. Water. b. Salt. c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry. d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, UggRedBilly said:

The regs don't say it. Salt is legal on both private & public land. 

• Like 2

ThomC doesn't hunt or for that matter, leave his mom's basement.  Take his comments with a grain of salt.

Most everyone I've talked to has said creating another source of water isn't illegal in its self, but littering could technically be.  So depending on how you construct it, id say you could be good or technically litter.  Not sure if they'd actually prosecute it tho.  

2 hours ago, 654321 said:

7. A person shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when: a. A person places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or b. A person knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location. 8. Subsection (A)(7) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties. 9. For the purposes of subsection (A)(7), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following: a. Water. b. Salt. c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry. d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations

Read this, it's very obvious what is legal and what is not

4 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

There’s a lot of nice guys out there putting mineral licks in for cattle. 

I like my beef salted.😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

ThomC doesn't hunt or for that matter, leave his mom's basement.  Take his comments with a grain of salt.

Most everyone I've talked to has said creating another source of water isn't illegal in its self, but littering could technically be.  So depending on how you construct it, id say you could be good or technically litter.  Not sure if they'd actually prosecute it tho.  

I decided to email someone who helps with water at fish and game. And he gave me the BLM number and email. He was worried about the same thing with littering

Some people said I was legal to put out a tub without a platform to catch water too. So that maybe an option. If I am allowed to build one itd be like this right here. I wouldnt really wanna use it for hunting. More of getting cool trail camera pictures. Just for a hobby because I dont really like hunting that unit. To many ATV traffic and weekend warriors. 

Screenshot_20210201-204356_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ya that’s going to look great out on public land. I’ll grab my camera and haul the family out there for some beautiful photos and memories. 

32 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Ya that’s going to look great out on public land. I’ll grab my camera and haul the family out there for some beautiful photos and memories. 

Great memories like these right? I wouldn't think of building a tank if this BS here didnt happen

But you know. Let's ban trail cameras also right dude? Screw catching these a-holes who do this crap. 

With how much of a drought we have there wont be much to get any pictures of anything. But yeah let's go destroy water sources and not make new ones. Then ban trail cameras because you know, that makes the quality of the deer go up all the sudden, not the fact you're supplying them with basic needs. Go say that to fish and game bud. Bet they'll love you like everyone else on the forum

Screenshot_20210117-231041_Snapchat.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-210349_Snapchat.jpg