bowsniper

My first Coues, 112 inch

All I can say is that the Good Lord really blessed me on Monday. He blessed me with my first coues, a big one, 112 6/8 gross. Here are a couple of links:

http://members.cox.net/desertchristianarchers/mark_coues.jpg

http://members.cox.net/desertchristianarchers/mark_rack.jpg

My hunt started on Saturday. I took a shot and hit a spike at a water hole. It wasn't a good hit as the arrow didn't pass through. I spent the rest of Saturday and a good part of Sunday looking for that spike, but could never find him. I followed the blood trail on my hands and knees for almost a half a mile, but it faded to nothing. I spent hours doing a gps grid search though thick brush in the area, but he was nowhere. Reluctantly, I gave up the search. On Monday I went to an area where I had set up a tree stand. I had been scouting this area almost every weekend since October, so I knew the area pretty well. One buck came in, and my heart was pounding so hard I completely missed at 30 yards. Later, this buck came by, and again my heart was pounding so hard, I missed him at 30 yards. Later, about 1:30, this buck came by again, but I couldn't get a clean shot. He wouldn't stop, and I had left my call in the truck. Finally, he bedded down facing right at me at 35 yards. Great, frontal archery shots aren't too successful. Then, he started chewing on his back foot, and his big chest was opened up right at me. I decided to take the risky frontal shot. The arrow hit dead center, went down through his chest, through his heart (lucky for me and him) and stopped part way through his sternum. He ran about 20 yards and fell over.

I have learned a lot about coues on this forum, and I want to thank everyone for all the great posts.

Mark (Bowsniper)

buck of a lifetime, and with a bow even better , witch unit was that in?that buck is going to look good on the wall ,are you going to mount it,congrats,can you say merry christmas,thats the best

Congratulations

Super story except for the lost buck. I guess this one had your name on it though.

thanks for the pictures!

Wow Mark, awesome!

It's a shame you lost that spike though. Hopefully he will recover.

Can't believe you got several chances at that buck! You must have had that stand in a great spot.

Amanda

Wow Mark!!!

Congratulations! What a toad!

I am really happy that you killed that deer.

What... a ...TOAD!

You say you're new to hunting Coues deer, but I don't think you're new to killing whitetails out of trees?

WOW!

Mike

you deserve it. you put in a ton of time @ $'s.Its great to see a fello desert christian archer with great success.what a year it has been.lets do it again next year. mike o