John O

Okay Dad, Now I'm Ready For Whitetails.....

Okay Dad, now I'm Ready For Whitetails. This is what my 11 year old son Ryan told me last year after shooting a little 2X2 mulie on his junior hunt down south. Little did he know what a challenge it would be. I was able to draw a December whitetail tag, and ended up signing it over to him. I have archery hunted during this time, and figured we could get it done no problem. We were on good bucks every day, but I under estimated the difficulty of ensuring he was on the buck as the does were being chased all around the hillsides. Nothing would be worse than to accidently shoot a doe, and we struggled to settle him down on the bucks. Most times one of the does, especially the fawns would lock onto us when we got just inside of 500 yards, and eventually take the whole group with them over the top. With a LOT of close calls, and a few missed shots, Ryan was beginning to wear out and getting a little down on himself. We talked a lot about why we are out, and that we will have very few times like this together, and always found reasons to laugh and have a good time. This morning he seemed almost to the end of his rope, and I could tell he either needed to have some success, or we were going to be wrapping it up. After rolling out at 4:30 am on the 5th day of his Christmas break and just missing an opportunity at a nice buck, we decided to head home early so he could have a little R&R. I took 5 minutes to quickly glass a hill on the way out, and picked up two dear. One looked like a spike as he walked in one direction, but when he turned looked like a doe (you will see why when looking at the photos). I got out my scope, and verified that it was a spike. Ryan wanted to go after him, so we geared up and closed the distance to just under 300 yards. We were looking almost directly into the sun, but Ryan was able to pick them up quickly in the prone position and get on the right deer. One good high shoulder shot, and a follow up a few minutes later and he was done. I think it was more relief than excitement, but you would have thought he just shot a 110" trophy buck of a lifetime. I love the quote that "No prize is greater than the effort it took to achieve it", and although this is a late tag it is a real trophy for Ryan. Even though he is only 12, he hunted like a man, and I am very proud of him. By the way, Ryan has now decided he is ready to go back to focusing on mule deer.

post-1571-0-44281800-1325140950_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-08992800-1325140973_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-70679500-1325141023_thumb.jpg

By looking at his smile it could hve been the biggest buck on the mountain. He is hooked.

Congratulatiions to your son!

Way to invest in your future by signing over the tag.

Whether he goes after coues or muleys next, is irrelevant.

He's hooked!

Great job Ryan and congtatulations. I know guys who are still trying to fill their first coues tag. I love the pictures. :)

TJ

Congratulations Ryan. Be careful, the coupes bug may have already bitten you, you will never be the same. Enjoy the addiction!

Oh and dont' forget to enter the buck in the coues contest....we have youth categories and smallest category :)

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/Coues_Buck_Contest_2011/coues_buck_contest_2011-12.htm

Thanks Amanda. I'll take your offer to enter the smallest coues contest as a compliment. :) :)

Way to go! My daughter is getting my next tag. She has been on a youth hunt for elk, deer and turkey and has come home empty handed. Funny, I was more disapointed than her. I think any deer is a prize.

Great job, John! And a big congrats to Ryan.....