Coues 'n' Sheep

January 2012... You can't kill all year long if you don't start the first day!

For some reason Jason & I started scouting and setting cameras in early mid-November... Come mid-December we were already seen a few good deer... By the last week of December we had a "Hit List" taking shape in our favorite spots...

One of the prospects was the "Big 3"... a young deer with a long typical frame that made everyone question his score... I told Jason that I hoped he shot him before he walked in front of me, cuz I was not sure if I could pass him. Even if he was only as big as our lowest guess, he'd be my largest typical coues buck and I am a sucker for big typical bucks...HaHa. I had the Big 3 on my cams alot, but mostly at night and did not expect him to show until the the rutting got him to be a bit more careless. On Dec 30th I finally got a good daytime picture that confirmed in my mind that this buck would be in the 105-/+ range. Now I was really wanting Jason to shoot him, so I didn't have to attempt to pass this buck, since I really wanted 110"... I wanted to see what the month might bring down my trail!

Opening morning still had New Years eve's final toast fogging my head as I strapped myself in, 26' up in the air... The morning was steady with critter movement... By mid-morning I had seen 5 does and the last two were way skitish... they distracted me with their white flag behavior and when I shifted my glance back to where they came from there was the Big 3 shadowing another doe and heading my way... and at that moment the thought of passing him was GONE! A long ten seconds later he hit a clearing in the brush at 26 yds and the arrow was on its way... a huge PBR style kick out and he charged right past me at Mach 2! It was over and he was mine.... BBD! I still gave him over an hour ... Jason & Justin hiked over to me and then I finally climbed out of my tree.... My arrow was coated solid red from tip to knock, the kind of red that screams victory, and the sign was as good as I had hoped... and better the further we followed. Less than 100 yds was all it took to find him, he had been dead in seconds after the shot. Hugs and hand shakes were exchanged, photos taken, and then the long pack out... I shot my buck at 9:50 am and got home at about 2 pm... then the celebration began!

A huge thanks to my "Archery Coues Brutha", Jason Scarbrough, the most passionate archery coues deer hunter I know! And to all my family and friends who came to my house to share in the day, I am grateful to you all for making a great day even better!

More adventures soon to come!....

post-996-0-12385000-1325604364_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-57235600-1325604379_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-37483000-1325604401_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-50406900-1325604413_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks all! I still have a piggy tag, but my son is using my bow to hunt one of my spots right now so that will have to wait... hopefully more bucks to come as the month progresses!

In the mean time here are a few pics of the Big 3 from last month...

post-996-0-42862200-1325607951_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-77663400-1325607966_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congratulations Gino on an awesome buck. You certainly put in your home work. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. :)

TJ

WOW! Great buck! He looks to be perfectly symetrical. Pretty amazing to bag one of that caliber on day one. Congrats!