mighteywhitehunter

1st Coues Buck and it is a "Dandy"

I have been trying to draw a Coues Deer tag for 3 years now and I finally drew one. This is my first post here but I would like to thank everyone here for their posts because the info I gathered here from "Lurking" as well as many hours on google earth, BLM and Forest Service Maps and reading Duwane Adams book " How to Hunt Coues Deer", led me into the area I eventually hunted and took this deer from. I hunted/scouted this area from the 10th of dec to the 16th of dec. I saw many nice deer and 1 that I tried to connect with but didn't...I estimated him to be around 90in. The second trip out to the desert I spent Xmas with my Grandparents as well as celebrated my Grandfathers 90th Birthday before heading back down to hunt on the night of the 27th. I hunted all day on the 28th I passed on 2 bucks in the 80in range but didn't see anything better. The next morning I started glassing and I finally picked up this buck in the glass, my heart jumped! He was a mile away but I knew that he was the buck I drove 10hrs for! I hiked for 35 min or so to finally put my self in range of the buck as he was chasing a doe around and ended up getting really lucky with a 200yd chip shot from my .270wsm. I rough scored the buck at 103" gross. Also thanks to Cody from Outdoorsmans for the tips on field judging these awesome deer.

post-12042-0-12669100-1388818987_thumb.jpg

post-12042-0-10965600-1388819255_thumb.jpg

post-12042-0-90822700-1388819376_thumb.jpg

post-12042-0-85374700-1388819473_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Very cool. What bullet is that?

I'd review the SCI score sheet. He sure looks bigger than 103". Not that it matters. That's a great buck. Congrats.

• Like 1

Whoa. Cool buck! I agree, looks bigger than 103. Congrats on one helluva buck.

Agreed…. I think that score will be going up. Congratulations on a great buck!!

What a very nice deer. Congrats on your hunt

WOW!! Now, that is a nicw coues! Big congrats to you!!!

Awsome buck there! What will you do for an encore? :) Congratulations on your first coues and welcome to the site.

Monster main beams...very nice first coues!

Welcome to the best site on the web! That is a great buck, but I am sure a tape will put him above 103. Congratulations.

• Like 1

Congratulations, that's one heck of a buck and an even better memory. Welcome to the site and once again, great job.