spqhunt

Call In

Headed out this morning, for the 5th weekend, to intentionally target lion, little windy in the new canyon I had never tried, and alot warmer than it had been. Started off with mouse in distress, to rabbit in distress, onto mad domestic cat. Nothing seemed to be working at all, didn't even get a fox to come in on the rabbit call which is odd, considering they always come in to check things out. Had no luck with the electronic caller so switched to a small squeaker out of a kong ball I had destroyed the night before to get to the tube, dog was not happy about that, but I figured it sounded enough like a mountain lion whistle to give it a go, and I was bored with listening to the electronic caller, and didn't have the most confidence in this stand. Blew on that for a few minutes, and flipped back on the rabbit distress. If you've ever listened to a predator call sequence, you realize after a short time, that you can remember every note of them, and you hear them when they aren't on, it's like a song stuck in the head. So I tried a call (won't tell you what it was) I had never used on the call set it at half volume, pretty loud for the turbo dogg and let it run. Not more than three minutes later I hear rocks rolling on the trail I'm on, and before I can get my eyes adjust left, there is a mountain lion barreling towards the call, so in my head I'm screaming HOLY #%&^ A LION!!, while getting my gun up into position. Cat stopped ten paces from me, catching my movement and stared me down, found bead locked on and fired, cat turned during shot, and caught back haunches, she jumped around in the trail a little while and took a broadside shot on her, that was the end of that. I have the utmost respect for this predator, and everything they represent about the west, feel very fortunate I was able to harvest one, cross this off my bucket list, and will never forget the feeling, of having my heartbeats go from 60 bpm to over 150 in a second.

post-13388-0-33931500-1447533434_thumb.jpg

post-13388-0-58716900-1447533452_thumb.jpg

post-13388-0-16642500-1447533454_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! You da man!!!!!!!

Huge congratulations!!!!!!

Dude !!!! Oneshot on CWT is going to be Jealous! His whole goal is to call in a mountain lion!!

Congrats on an awesome cat!