C.C.Cody171

Bear on Coues Hunt

I was backpacked in helping a friend on his October Coues hunt in unit 32 and was fortunate enough to glass up a mature bear at 350 yards. I always buy a bear tag just in case I locate a trophy so I was good to go there. Fred was nice enough to not only let me take a bear during his deer hunt but to also loan me his rifle. Additionally, him and his obviously very cool wife, Dawn, spent the next couple hours helping me dress out what turned out to be an amazingly huge boar! What a job on a steap hillside that turned out to be. Dawn had shot a nice Coues buck the evening before and now we had her deer and a lot of bear meat to pack out several miles to my truck. Not to mention a beautiful chocolate brown hide that I knew my wife would be thrilled to have on the wall. So with time being critical to get all this home on a hot day I decided to see what my dad was up to. Like always he was willing to come help. We got everything ready to pack out and spent a few hours glassing until my dad showed up with a short train of mules. I love spending time in these desert mountains that I couldn't imagine life without, you just never know when something awesome is going to happen. A short while later my dad was headed back to the flats toward his rig as we continued our search for another shooter Coues buck for Fred. A big thanks for all their help and support to my friends Fred and Dawn. Also to my dad and his mules who saved me the rest of the day of hiking several heavy loads out. He also, along with my seven year daughter, helped me pack in water and a few other things a few days before the hunt. The biggest thanks goes to my always supportive and understanding wife. This is the first bear I've ever even shot at and will possibly be the biggest bear I ever glass up let alone harvest. I feel very fortunate for the opportunity at such an animal. Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

post-14122-0-53355100-1477590886_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-59922000-1477591129_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-60395800-1477593714_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-98887900-1477593863_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-39537900-1477593616_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-80331900-1477594245_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-41380300-1477594405_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-93639400-1477594612_thumb.jpg

• Like 25

Dang thats a nice bear man, congrats! Congrats to you guys on the buck as well!

I found some fresh bear tracks in 32 a couple years back when I was out scouting. Followed them for a little over a mile and then tracks stopped. First time find tracks like that myself and it was a cool experience. Congrats again to you on tagging that beautiful bear!

What an awesome hunt!! That bear is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

+1 on deer hunt dream come true, very cool, congrats!

Great bear! 32 is my favorite unit. Great on your. Im quite sure ill never have access to mules in this life time. Tha ks for sharing