Sign in to follow this  
Bobbyhcp

2017 deer hunt!!

So we got stuck with a unit this year that we had never hunted but that was ok with us we were sill going coues hunting! After countless miles any trips scouting we had pinned down a few spots to hunt! Opening day arrived and we decided to split up into 2 groups between the 5 of us me and my buddy and my wife went to a canyon we had seen a buck in the day befor. After a long morning of a small buck and some does we found him at 2:00 we made a plan and closed the gap to 485 yards we got the guns setup on him bedded and waited for him to stand up after a hour he did and my wife put him down it is her biggest buck to date post-13733-0-94348400-1509736120_thumb.jpeg while all this was going on one of the other two guys in camp had also shot a buck that morning post-13733-0-48441500-1509736379_thumb.jpeg so the next day day 2 we decided to hunt a canyon we had seen a nice buck in scouting we were only there for about a hour when we spotted 4 bucks and my buddy decided that he wanted the bigger one of the group so he got set up and hammered his buck at 719 yards post-13733-0-99254500-1509736573_thumb.jpeg the rest of that day was. Slow and three of them had to leave camp so we were down to me day 3 was super slow only seeing a few deer and a couple small bucks so on day 4 we decided to hunt where my wife killed oers on day 1 it worked out as we seen a couple nice bucks one that I really looked over figured him to be about 98-100 inchs but I decided to let him go that night my last partner had to leave for a day so day 5 I was alone and decided to change things up and went to a different mt range well that payed off as I seen a couple great bucks that morning and after trying to get on one of them he put the sneaks on me and I never seen him again so I went back to my glassing spot for the after need and at about 4:00 I seen a deer way off on a Hill face I put him in the spotting scope and decided I wanted this buck so I made my move I was able to close the gap to 533 I was gonna have to make a steep uphill shot but light was fading so I went for it and with nobody there to call my shots I missed 3 Times and watched the biggest buck I had shot at walk over the ridge. Well on my way to camp that night I called two of my good friends that had left earlier in the week and told them what I had missed and they drove down that night to help me try and find him again the next day. Day 6 we were back in the area where I have missed that buck it took 2 hours but we found him for a split second right on top where I seen him last he went back over and we made a plan to hike on the ridge across from him and try to pick him up bedded! After a hour hike and about 20 min glassing I found him tucked in tight so we set up across from him at 400 yards and waited..... this is the longest I have ever waited for a buck to stand up all we could see was his antlers and after 5 hours of waiting he got up and gave me a shot! I would love to say I smoked him first shot but with a 25-30 mph wind I missed the first 3 shots but this time I had someone telling me where I was hitting and on shot 4 I put him down! I am super pumped to have killed this deer and its my best coues buck to date post-13733-0-84179200-1509737619_thumb.jpegpost-13733-0-35179700-1509737770_thumb.jpeg

• Like 16

Congrats those are all awesome bucks. I love the left side on yours. Is it me or does his shnozz look bulbous and swollen in the first pic?

Awesome Buck, Its nice to hear the honest truth about deer hunting.

It happens to the best of us. We all miss and many times we don't ever get to tell a story like yours.

Congrats to the rest of the group as well.

Thanks for sharing...