Sign in to follow this  
Ed67

Close call-almost lost gear

I spent last Sunday archery hunting javelina in 20C with my son and son in law. Ive hunted the same spot with my kids during the last ten archery hunts and a few junior hunts. We have usually done pretty well and this one was no different when my son in law tagged his first archery pig.

I have a routine with the time of day and hills I hunt due to past success. When I got back to the truck I waited for both boys to return and thankfully my son in law was carrying a pig. Being his first one I helped to show him the proper way to skin one and not taint the meat. Instead of putting my pack and binoculars in the truck, I set them on the ground next to the mesquite we skinned it at. 😞

After finishing, we loaded the pig in the cooler and were on our way home. I was probably an hour from home and an hour from the hunting spot when I realized my pack wasnt in the cab. Panicked because others were in the area I quickly drove back thinking I had a 50/50 chance if my gear still being there.

Thankfully when we got there my stuff was in the same spot. Live and learn.

post-13242-0-86407100-1516150148_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

Thx, yea it was a tough drive back especially when Ive been busting my sons stones about leaving his crap laying around and look what I did!

• Like 3

It sucks losing stuff. My vortex ranger is missing, I hope it just fell under or behind something. My gut says it fell out of the truck somewhere.

How the kaibabs working for you?

Glad you remembered! Reminds me of a deer hunt in 23 one year. My nephew had a borrowed Swaro spotting scope. I shot a buck on the last day. We got it back to the truck and left to go get Luke from school. Got almost back to the 260 and Ryan says "I forgot the spotting scope". We make a mad dash back almost side swiping a cattle trailer and Ryan runs up the hill and gets the scope. On the way down he starts running and soon he's going faster than his legs can keep up. I think he did a couple unintended cartwheels and then a couple rolls and finally a superman dive. The whole time the Swaro spotter is rolling down behind him. Luckily it was in a protective tube case. One of the funniest things I've ever seen! We got back just in time to get Luke.

• Like 1

Glad your gear was still there. I hate when people pick up other peoples' stuff and say " I am going to try and find the owner". Just leave it alone the owner will remember where he left it and be back to get it.

My tag, and license was in the pocket of my backpack so I hoped if someone picked it up they would have my address and contact me but you never know with a nice Eberlestock pack, Swarovski Binos, knives, gps etc if someone would do the right thing or keep it. Im thankful to have it back.

My buddy's dad had one of these moments last year on an elk hunt.

We had hiked up to the top of a hill and had been looking over 20-30 cows and and a half dozen bulls. Not finding a bull we were looking for, we loaded the packs back up and headed back down to the truck. As my buddy's dad walked out a head of me I noticed his new 15x56 Swaros sitting on the ground. I started to shout out to him, but changed my mind and decided to have a little fun with him instead. I quickly scooped up his binos and buried them in my pack. As we hiked back to the truck I let my buddy in on my little secret. We agreed that we should keep our mouths shut. We made it back to the truck, then the highway, and then to the gas station (probably about an hour and a half later). My buddy was out at the pump filling up with his dad while I was in the gas station getting a soda. The story that I was told was that while pumping gas, a very concerned expression crossed the dad's face and he started frantically going through his pack. After a couple of minutes of panic my buddy let him off the hook and told him I had the binos. His dad then came in the station, insisted on buying my drink, and we had a good laugh.

• Like 2

Yeah...I have NEVER done that....

About 17 or 18 years ago hunting pigs in 24a we were walking back to the truck parked close to an old corral. We open and close the gate and happened to look to my left and sitting on top of a big corral post are a set of Swaro binos. 8x42 if I remember correctly. I didn't know whether to take them and try to find the owner or leave them. I decided to leave them hoping whoever left them would realize they were gone and come back for them. Didn't see anyone else in the area on the way out. I've always wondered if the owner ever got them.