SirRoyal

Low life Camera thiefs

Bingo we have a winner ----usually its 1600 in the general hunt this yr it total 1475 but then don't forget the youth tags 225, dtill equals 1600 anterless tags....

back father than 2004 when they had 1200 cow tags in 10.

basically wiped out the big herds of elk - like I posted last yr . from my property I sat 3 days glassing 5-6 square miles of elk country west ashfork from my deck. During the sept rut hunt

I saw I herd where 6 yrs ago i'd see several herds of 20-30 each evening and hear elk bugles

get dozens of elk pics.

biggest herd last yr 2 cows and a calf in 3 days of glassing using 30x80's in mid sept.-- they are gone forever unless gf get head out ace!!

just checked my camera -- got 3 pics of 1 elk ---true its summer pics but they are gone

I have a CHAMP elk tag for 10 this year and this info has me pretty down to say the least.

Dont be. Theres still a lot of elk in there. Maybe not as many as yrs past but theyre there. My good friend has had the early cow hunt three yrs in a row and first 2 were done on 1st and 2nd day. Helped on both and 1st yr we seen a really nice bull. 3rd tag is this Oct

I have no doubts that different areas accross unit 10 hold good numbers of elk.

But just imagine 10 times that many! every time a cow is killed it basically reduces the herd by 3 so there goal is 500 a year - you do the math 1500 x10yrs. is 15000- and that's be very conservative- that's if they only take 500 out of the 1600 tags! some yrs the success rate was close to 60%

I'm just saying we need to cut back on the number of cow tags- to sustain a better number of elk - in certain units

sorry for kinda off topic of camera thieves but unit 10 hits home for me!

I think some people fail to acknowledge that the whole universe does not rotate around them.

Elk herd size has other determiners than the wants and wishes of the people who want to hunt them. Before people go around crying bloody murder about herd size, those people oughta talk to the ranchers in the area. It may not seem fair sometimes, but on the scales of land managers, agricultural interests supercede the interests of hunters. A rancher's interests weigh in a lot more than a hunter's interests.

caring capacity minus agricultural demands leads to determining herd size.

caring capacity - agriculture = elk herd size

There's way to many elk, they need to kill more, and do you think they give out 500cow tags that 500 get killed, I'd say only 200 killed, more damage caused by predators and starvation and dieses

There is so much misinformation in this thread its nearly impossible to believe AZKILLER is not responsible for any of it.

In the 90's I had a cabin in the White Mtn's. Unit 1 had so many Elk it was crazy. I beleive they had a zillion cow hunts and that all changed I only get up there once a year anymore but its seems like a 1/4 of what they used to have. Or have they moved around? Is it at or below carrying capacity?..............BOB!