Sign in to follow this  
ofdscooby

Pant

The stretch zions are what I use. The straights are like skinny jeans. The zions are, in my opinion, just about perfect hunting pants. I don’t shy away from pushing through brush in them and in about the 4 years I’ve used them I’ve never had any kind of rip or failure of any kind. They are a little bit of a lighter pant so cat claws do get you through them every once in a while. Worth it to me for how comfortable they are, even when it’s hot out.I just recently bought some first lite guide lites for really cheap, and they’re pretty nice, but I prefer the zions in every way except the little cargo pocket isnt the greatest. 
You can find the zions on steep and cheap for 30 or 40 bucks if you keep an eye out.

I figured I would try the Zions and see what the hoopla is about.  A pair was delivered in the mailbox today.

Edit to add that it was nice to see these are more of a regular fit and not skinny jeans tight through the legs and seat.  Fabric weight is light, so seems they would be good for early season or hiking.  The stretch material is 2-way horizontal, not vertical.

• Like 1

I have a few pants I like. The Attack pants are the most comfortable I've tried but durability of the fabric and DWR is not up to par for the price. I also have Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants that are a bit lighter but way cheaper. I have 3 pairs of the Wrangler pants in different colors that are so cheap they are a no brainer. Almost as comfortable and more durable than the Attacks at like $25 with tax from Walmart. Can't beat that!

• Like 1

I bought a pair of the Prana Zions based on the recommendations on this thread.  They are light and super comfy.  I've not had them in the field yet but if they hold up half as well as folks on hear say they will, I'll be stoked.

• Like 1

CatClaw will eat up any trousers that are not tough enough. I hunted in Levis for decades and they stood up to rough brush. Then Levis went anti NRA, anti gun so now it its Carhart or Wrangler canvas trousers for my hunting. The syntho lightweight hiking stuff won't hold up to CatClaw.

9 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

CatClaw will eat up any trousers that are not tough enough. I hunted in Levis for decades and they stood up to rough brush. Then Levis went anti NRA, anti gun so now it its Carhart or Wrangler canvas trousers for my hunting. The syntho lightweight hiking stuff won't hold up to CatClaw.

Back in the 80's we just wore cotton long johns under our jeans when we hunted near catclaw. Not purrfect but it worked pretty well.

If you go Kuiu you need the Katana pant (light weight, early season) or the Pro Pant (mid/late season)   They are a tighter weave and won’t pick.  I have the Pro pant and they have not been phased yet but I haven’t probably walked through as much cat claw as some of you.    I had my Attack pant start picking after one hunt in the southern desert and called Kuiu about it and they explained to me the tighter weave of the Pro pant so I bought a pair and it was a game changer.  They have since come out with the Katana which are similar weave just lighter/cooler for early season.

As said earlier - Wrangler from Walmart- $20 bucks each- 5 pairs for $100- in 2 years get 5 more..

I have picked up some better brands new (Under Armor) on Ebay for 40% of the cost - just need to look frequently. 

JimmyN thanks for the heads up, I was due for another couple pairs.  TheZions are my go to now for quail hunting, cat claw really doesn’t seem to phase them. Plus not needing a belt is great, grab and go!