Sign in to follow this  
azphil

4A Early archery

Didn't get drawn for anything this year. Spent 12 days up there for OTC archery. Dry 6 days, and just when I was getting things worked out, it started raining again. Rained 6 days in a row, 2 hail storms, one deluge. It's definitely wetter and greener than I can ever remember. Found one nice buck but couldn't close the deal.  Bulls were starting to bugle. Had a nice 6x6 come to water before it started raining again. Saw nice 7x7. Actually saw one bull had some cows rounded up already. He won't keep em. 

• Like 1

Any success pics? I’ve seen a couple but not mine to share. I’m getting antsy and nervous now and can’t wait…heading up tomorrow morning and hoping the bulls are going crazy!

• Like 3

I was in 4b helping this weekend and it was dead. Dead as in DEAD. Bulls shut down and only moving at night. NO buggling. none. No elk hitting water. Nothing. hopefully the magic picks up soon.

32 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

I was in 4b helping this weekend and it was dead. Dead as in DEAD. Bulls shut down and only moving at night. NO buggling. none. No elk hitting water. Nothing. hopefully the magic picks up soon.

Nice try sand bagger. I was in 4b and it was going good. 

• Like 1

bad tops in unit 27?  interesting.  I talked with a guy that was in unit 1 and he said the tops on the bulls they saw were on par.  Dry winter should have been comparable between units 1 and 27

4 hours ago, bigorange said:

Any success pics? I’ve seen a couple but not mine to share. I’m getting antsy and nervous now and can’t wait…heading up tomorrow morning and hoping the bulls are going crazy!

Good luck!   Just got back for a few days... will be back up there end of week. In area of unit we were in, they were bulging late evenings and around 4- 8am. Was able to locate and work two small herds each morning but only once in the evening. I'm hoping this not considered fully going yet cuz I need them just a little dumber with that one track mind 😁  I came dang close Sat morning. He was in bow range but didn't get a shot of... shoulda, woulda, coulda, is haunting my thoughts and dreams now.  I cant wait to get back it chasing them sounds....   ya hear it !? wait, was that a hunter or an elk? 🤣 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

pffft. Those were side by sides not elk ya drunkard.

We all know you never make it past Pete's when you head up to the rim anyway.

12 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

pffft. Those were side by sides not elk ya drunkard.

We all know you never make it past Pete's when you head up to the rim anyway.

i may have had a few chardonnays, what of it?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

It’s closed I just asked my friend who’s hunting up there. 

weak horn year and no Pete's.  I pity those who drew this year......  should have got Point Guard.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

weak horn year and no Pete's.  I pity those who drew this year......  should have got Point Guard.

i was gonna meet my friend up there but if no petes no care. 

3 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

At least the rut is great

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 3:25 PM, trphyhntr said:

Same, I was up there and it was on fire!! Lots of missed opportunities!! I did slow down Sunday evening. Came back home Tuesday and headed back up thus evening. Hopefully they're fired up!!

• Like 2

My antlerless tag is now soup. I hunted 4A south of Bear Canyon Lake. Lots of bull activity- not too many cows. I got the same report from the other antlerless tag holders. I stayed up 9 days and had a great time. I never had the opportunity for a good shot- I'm a 45 yd max shooter. I had a couple of looks at 80 yd cows and 6 good looks at bulls less than 40 yds- one at 20-  6X6 muddy up to his shoulders and stinky! loved watching him for 5 minutes. Good luck to the guys still up there.

• Like 2