1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

Can someone explain the allure of the 3a/3c tag for me?  I see a lot of publicity about it, and have spent little time in there, but the guides putting the collages on FB are putting up piles of pics of 145-165 bucks on them?  Seems like there’s one good one that comes out of there (190+) every year but a whole pile of 3 yr old 22” bucks as well.  It seems to me that just about every unit I’ve spent time in south of the canyon can produce about like that.  I hear of NR burning 20+ points on that tag, wondering if it’s just buying the hype or of I’m missing something?  Nothing wrong with 140-160 bucks but a guy can shoot bucks like that annually on no point type hunts across the west.  

The Burnt Timber crew killed 4-5 bucks in there last year 190+. 

9 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

What are the traditional mule deer units 

units not managed for older age class would be what I consider traditional units. 

14 minutes ago, ZBAR said:

I just looked at their website and they have some pretty good lookin bucks in there where the terrain looks like 3a/3c.  They’ve also got a bunch on the 150-160 country too.  I would be curious to see what an average is across the board for what they kill in there.  They seem to kill the best ones from what I can see.  

There’s a lot of “nice” bucks there, it’s good hunting. When I had the tag I saw one big buck and many 130-140 bucks. You see lots of deer. 

But theres definitely as big or bigger deer in the desert than in 3a3c. But much harder hunting.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

Can someone explain the allure of the 3a/3c tag for me?  I see a lot of publicity about it, and have spent little time in there, but the guides putting the collages on FB are putting up piles of pics of 145-165 bucks on them?  Seems like there’s one good one that comes out of there (190+) every year but a whole pile of 3 yr old 22” bucks as well.  It seems to me that just about every unit I’ve spent time in south of the canyon can produce about like that.  I hear of NR burning 20+ points on that tag, wondering if it’s just buying the hype or of I’m missing something?  Nothing wrong with 140-160 bucks but a guy can shoot bucks like that annually on no point type hunts across the west.  

20 plus points on the early hunt?  That is a little excessive in my opinion for 3a3c. But heck if I guy lived there or has knowledge of the area and can't or don't want to make the long haul, go for it.  I don't care what they do.

34 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

I just looked at their website and they have some pretty good lookin bucks in there where the terrain looks like 3a/3c.  They’ve also got a bunch on the 150-160 country too.  I would be curious to see what an average is across the board for what they kill in there.  They seem to kill the best ones from what I can see.  

Check out Shane Koury's Instagram and you will see the alure. 

3 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Check out Shane Koury's Instagram and you will see the alure. 

That’s the pics I’ve seen I guess.  There’s a couple collages on there with 1 or 2 180 bucks on there and the rest are 140-160 bucks.  I’ve hunted with him for elk and he knows his stuff and knows how to take pics so that’s where I guess I’m curious of what the hype is I guess.  Most of the bucks on there could be easily had on a general MT tag or a leftover CO tag.  

The burnt timber bucks from last year were some dang smokers though for sure.  

It's relative. A 160 buck is easy in Montana but pretty hard to get in AZ.  3c has more by percentage of big mule deer south of GC than most units. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ZBAR said:

Lol if you believe that I've got some ocean front property here in az I'll sell you. True score and the burnt timber score are on two different planets. 3c is a unit that you should expect to have a chance at a 170-175" buck if you hunt hard with the possibility of running into a 180-185 buck along the way. Very very seldom will you see a 190 although 1 or 2 are in there every year.

• Like 1

Which one of those bucks that are being long armed are 190+ besides the bottom left buck? The almost 3 point or the crab claw 4 point? 75% of guys wouldn't know what a 190+ buck looks like if it ran them over.

Screenshot_20210709-153656_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, idgaf said:

It's relative. A 160 buck is easy in Montana but pretty hard to get in AZ.  3c has more by percentage of big mule deer south of GC than most units. 

True.  Just seems to me that AZ points are such a golden ticket to big Miley’s.  The thing about MT, or WY or any of those, is there’s a lot of medium and small critters but your odds of a giant like you can have a chance at in AZ is essentially non existent.  Atleast with a kaibab early tag you can know there’s a 220 buck somewhere in the unit.  In MT, WY and 3a/3c the odds of that are almost nonexistent from what I’ve gathered.  

17 minutes ago, AZtroutman said:

Which one of those bucks that are being long armed are 190+ besides the bottom left buck? The almost 3 point or the crab claw 4 point? 75% of guys wouldn't know what a 190+ buck looks like if it ran them over.

Screenshot_20210709-153656_Chrome.jpg

Those are some pretty nice looking bucks