Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

12a turkey is it worth the drive?

I was up there for the spring hunt this year for 3 days. Never heard a single gobble let alone seeing any birds, and we did a ton of hiking, calling, driving, sitting water, all over the plateau, from the park boundary to Jacob lake. The Warden we talked to up there said she’d heard of one successful hunter all season. The other guys are right, if you’re going to do it, just enjoy the kaibab, seeing some nice deer, and the cookies and the views. Maybe you’ll even see a turkey. 

• Like 1

Sad to hear this. Used to hear about Turkeys all over that place. Wonder what happened? Fire? They can escape that you would think.........BOB!

• Like 3

Well this post saved me from putting in for a leftover up there!..............BOB!

The shakes at Jacobs lake are to die for, turkeys everywhere during archery deer hunt, then where do they go..

• Like 3

Worth it? It depends on what you’re looking for. We used to get off work at 2am Thursday, drive up, shoot birds, eat lunch at the lodge, sleep and drive home. Later when my kids grew up we would make a weekend trip out of  it. Both kids have had great big game tags since then but always remember the Kaibab turkey trips. There’s nothing like early October in the Kaibab. Priceless. 
If worth is measured in money then definitely not worth it. You will spend 300 on gas, 100 in food for a 7 pound hen or 12 pound Tom. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ed67 said:

Worth it? It depends on what you’re looking for. We used to get off work at 2am Thursday, drive up, shoot birds, eat lunch at the lodge, sleep and drive home. Later when my kids grew up we would make a weekend trip out of  it. Both kids have had great big game tags since then but always remember the Kaibab turkey trips. There’s nothing like early October in the Kaibab. Priceless. 
If worth is measured in money then definitely not worth it. You will spend 300 on gas, 100 in food for a 7 pound hen or 12 pound Tom. 

Can't put a price on happiness.

• Like 2

What's the weather like up there ? I've been up in August for deer but not been able to get up for anything else.the last few years its been scouting for elk for the muzzy hunts for my dad and his buddy

Might be windy too but really beautiful wild Wild West follow power lines Mr Marvin  told us that and it paid off :)  Love that place!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

What's the weather like up there ? I've been up in August for deer but not been able to get up for anything else.the last few years its been scouting for elk for the muzzy hunts for my dad and his buddy

Frost in the morning.

• Like 1

Well not going up to hunt but going with the family over labor day weekend .will be leaving way before the sun comes up and take the extra day on the other end to hopefully miss some traffic.my buddy's are up on the deer hunt and say that the deer have there arrow radar on as all three have had at least 1 or 2 misses so looks like they will need new hats when they get back because everyone in camp gets a shot at your hat if you miss at the yardage you missed its all for fun but teaches shot placement and focus

• Like 1