Sign in to follow this  
Beaton

Had a blast in 12awest

My 2 kids and my sons best friend all had 12awest early rifle tags.  My sons friend only had 3 days to hunt and my 2 kids had the whole hunt off. We had opportunities at some really big bucks but due to the thick conditions in the oak transition where we were seeing them it was hard to get shots at them. Since my sons friend only had 3 days to hunt due to school at NAU he passed multiple bucks and finally decided to take a small bladed 4x5 on Sunday. We checked that deer in and by Sunday evening only 17 deer had been checked in. Come Monday morning We see a buck in the oaks and we can only make out antlers and we know 1 side had 4 points. My son looks at him for a while and decides to shoot we hear the hit and he goes crashing down the draw. We give him some time and get down to him and he is a decent 4x3. He was very happy and then expresses he thinks he shot to early cause he had 5 more days to hunt. We told him it was a beautiful buck and although he has shot bigger mule deer he should be happy due to the tough conditions and he agreed. Now on to trying to fill my daughter's tag. Let me just say I am very proud of her.  She wanted a buck with 4 points. She probably passed 20 bucks from spikes to 3x3. Thursday morning we had a 200 plus inch buck with trash at 90yds and it was so thick she Couldn't shoot him. I was so bummed and she said dad I'm just glad we got to lay eyes on a deer that big she said that made my whole trip even If I don't fill my tag. The rest of the hunt we hunted hard for her and she never got another opportunity. She said I didn't lose any points on this hunt and I wanted a big one and I held out and I'm ok with eating tag soup. I'm so proud of her. I have hunted kaibab for 30 years and trust me it was tough for kaibab.  But the most importantly we went 2 out of 3 and it's all about the experience and the memories. Just being in the kaibab is magical even if you don't kill a big one or fill all your tags.

62352.jpeg

62047.jpeg

61939.jpeg

61851.jpeg

• Like 19

46 minutes ago, stanley said:

Good stuff!!!!  NOTHING beats hunting with your kids, IMO!!!

Yes nothing does! They are 20 and 23 years old now and it's still awesome!

• Like 1

Thanks for the write-up and pictures.  They'll cherish that week hunting with you for the rest of their lives.  Love it!

Great job!  2/3 is excellent and those are very respectable bucks.  I’ll be solo hunting the late hunt. Any news on the Mangum fire road closures?

Very nice, Congrats to all.. Your right its a Magical place................BOB!

1 hour ago, naturebob said:

Very nice, Congrats to all.. Your right its a Magical place................BOB!

Thanks Bob! You never know you may draw that late tag again. My friend drew it with 2 points this year!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1