gauchoand

Anyone seen Wild burros

So I'm taking a lot of classes out at ASU east and they have a pretty good wildlife management program. Anyways we got to talking about wild burros and I was wondering if anyone has ever seen wild burros. My teacher mentioned that there were tons of them a while back and they would just let you off them whenever you could. So anyone seen any around? Where at? Any pictures? Now supposedly they are a protected species so you cant shoot them. Let me know cause i want to see these things first hand. Thanks

So I'm taking a lot of classes out at ASU east and they have a pretty good wildlife management program. Anyways we got to talking about wild burros and I was wondering if anyone has ever seen wild burros. My teacher mentioned that there were tons of them a while back and they would just let you off them whenever you could. So anyone seen any around? Where at? Any pictures? Now supposedly they are a protected species so you cant shoot them. Let me know cause i want to see these things first hand. Thanks

Anywhere around lake Pleasant. I've had them come in while out doing some target practice. They are protected, but I have heard stories of people finding them shot. Nice peaceful animals, but I believe some people think they consume too much forage.

only place I have seen them is at Lake Pleasant. I have seen them more often on the north side of the lake. Take Castle Hot Springs Road and spend the weekend some where near the lake and you should see some.

unit 32 - between Benson and Willcox - just N of I-10 by Johnson Mine (on the other side of I-10 from The Thing).

Go to the north entrance of the lake and follow it left on castle hot springs road, when you get to the river crossing over the bridge they are usually in the wash on either side of the road. Generally you can see them all around the lake and even in the desert on new river road between the lake and I-17. There are quite a few at Alamo as well.

post-53-1222316555_thumb.jpg

Was up near and in Oatman this weekend and couldnt turn a corner without seeing them. A matter of fact the town is known for them walking up and down the main street which is route 66. They even sell carrots so that you can feed them as they walk through town.

unit 32 - between Benson and Willcox - just N of I-10 by Johnson Mine (on the other side of I-10 from The Thing).

I've seen then in that area as well, I've also seen some a little North west of there off of the 3 links road.

They are all over the Lake Pleasant and Alamo Lake area. I heard they were first brought here for the mining then left behind. Here are some pics from a recent elk hunt by Alamo Lake.

post-2787-1222331875_thumb.jpg

post-2787-1222331994_thumb.jpg

there used to be a bunch of them out in unit 10, we would always see them on the late archery hunt. Had one run down the road in front of us for about 400 yards one night, I guess it was night blinded by my headlights, the road was icy and it fell so I stopped and turned off the lights and when I put them back on it was gone, they sure are pretty animals. I also am pretty sure I saw some wild burros in 16a in NM this year when I was driving to Reserve from Snow lake. ag

Those are some cool photos deersandbeers.

Did you all notice the lateral lines on its legs. some individuals in wild populations have gained that trait back after it was bread out of the domestic burros.