Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Matt Rinella - Hunting and Social Media

2 minutes ago, Edge said:

Never occurred to me hunters look like drunken rednecks that kill for horns.

I was raised by ethical hunters that put wild meat on the table regardless of horn size. That's what I teach my kids as well.

Kev isn’t wrong that there is a perception among much of the public that hunters are ignorant rednecks. It’s a stupid stereotype that isn’t any more accurate than pretending all inner-city youth are gang members or criminals. Neither of these is correct and the stereotype doesn’t help fix problems that either of them face nor does it value the good that they often bring.

Like it or not, MeatEater pushed hunting towards mainstream. There are a litany of challenges that imposes on an extractive recreation like hunting, fishing, gathering, etc. How we manage that going forward is the million dollar question.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Do non hunters watching hunting shows? I don’t remember buckmasters or realtree outdoors being drunken rednecks 

idk man imo if meateater, joe Rogan, cam Hanes, randy newberg, jay scott podcast etc. didn’t exist we’re not having these conversations on otc deer tags, trailcams, whatever else is next. 

You didn’t watch the old drunk redneck Jackie Bushman? Just kidding of course…yeah I’m not sure I remember any hunting shows depicting drunk rednecks, but I do enjoy Meateater a lot compared to most of the current shows. 

• Like 1

Yeah the few shows i thought portrayed hunters like that was 20 years ago so maybe that comments out of date.  Rinella definately filled a void though in hunting tv world and is now somewhat mainstream being on netflix so i think a lot of non hunters have watched it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Yeah the few shows i thought portrayed hunters like that was 50 years ago 

Now I remember...

• Like 1

I think it was Larry the Cable Guy who within the past few years was joking about hunting and gave the sage advice to any hunters that sit a blind when he said that the first thing you need to do when you get to the blind is open all 5 of your beers at once so you don't make noise later on when something might be coming in.  He is part of the Redneck Comedy Tour with Foxworthy and the boys.

14 minutes ago, bigbuckfever said:

I think it was Larry the Cable Guy who within the past few years was joking about hunting and gave the sage advice to any hunters that sit a blind when he said that the first thing you need to do when you get to the blind is open all 5 of your beers at once so you don't make noise later on when something might be coming in.  He is part of the Redneck Comedy Tour with Foxworthy and the boys.

I thought everyone knew to pre-open your beers, rookies I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I thought everyone knew to pre-open your beers, rookies I guess.

Great, now everyone knows. Why do we have to put everything on social media?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Great, now everyone knows. Why do we have to put everything on social media?

Oh $hit! I didn't know this was social media.

1 hour ago, bigbuckfever said:

That opening your beer thing is 100% true in Texas.  I learned quickly that you want to pre- open all your beers before it becomes prime time.  

• Like 1

I heard Matt is going to be on the ME podcast this week to debate the merits of social media with Steve. I am interested to hear both sides, and am hopeful that he has free reign to speak on the podcast.

Sometimes Steve gets a little full of himself on there so it will be interesting to see the dynamic.

• Like 1