Yuma Outdoorsman

2021 Rut....

55 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Pics?   

I almost whacked a very large buck getting coffee this morning by the Starbucks in show low. 

Here ya go!

28D7E8BC-99C9-4B28-ADD4-81AB1742F380.jpeg

• Like 15

15 hours ago, Tradman said:

Rut is going strong. Took this picture today at 235 yds away. I got to 65 yds, clear line of site a few more yds and I would have sent it. There was a second buck as well. As soon as I'm getting ready to draw back a doe appears, I tell you what I've never heard bucks and does make the noises they made today. Both bucks turned opposite direction and went crazy straight for the doe. Seen 4 bucks today. Heading out again tomorrow. 40 yds is my max ill shoot with my longbow. Hope to get it done tomorrow.

Screenshot_20220129-194114_Gallery.jpg

A few more yards?  I thought you were a traditional bow hunter?  

• Love 1

Saw one buck today, no does. He was spooked, never slowed down. Or maybe a mad dash to find a doe still in estrus.

Sunday had a coues buck come into my mule deer ambush. He feed into the greenpatch, then caught my wind at 11 yards. The west wind hit the edge of that tiny draw, swirled,  and he thereby avoided being my closest archery kill yet. That coues would have been under 10 yards. He gave me an earlier instant of a shot, but a bit far, and I hesitated. Shot a judo point later on, missed low, and I knew from the arrow drop the approximate yardage before I paced it off the distance. 33 paces (Of course, closeness is no guarantee; I sailed an arrow over a coues spike at 10 yards in December).

Anyway, soon after, saw the mule does where I expected them. The big one was in there with them, rutting behavior shown., and I moved closer, but they stopped feeding my way, the terrain and evening turning black, and that ended my January hunt.  New area for me, hunted when I could the last two weeks, never closer than 50 yards. I am a lot smarter than I was two weeks ago regarding mule deer. 

21 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

A few more yards?  I thought you were a traditional bow hunter?  

That's correct he needed to continue feeding the direction he was headed. This would have put him inside 40 from where I was set up. 40yds is the farthest I'll take a shot at. 

9 minutes ago, Jacob...soaz said:

Best thing about the whole deal is this is the first hunt of a long year . I'm already having shooters remorse.  Got to keep my finger off the release 

Yup, I shot one in January about 10 years ago. Regretted it for the rest of the year. They now gotta be giants to even think about shooting in January.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Yup, I shot one in January about 10 years ago. Regretted it for the rest of the year. They now gotta be giants to even think about shooting in January.

Exactly why I wanted that buck, last Dec 30. He wasn't a giant but would have been tastier than tag soup.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 9:52 AM, ruthunter said:

Here ya go!

28D7E8BC-99C9-4B28-ADD4-81AB1742F380.jpeg

Thats a gorgeous buck!

• Like 1