maximus

Proposed fall, spring hunt recommendations for 2022-2023 available for review

11 hours ago, Newbie2012 said:

That special raffle they did this past Fall with those six tags proved to be a success. I believe they will pivot to that to cover any revenue shortfalls. They almost made up that $1M with just six tags. 

There was a special raffle because there was a need for more money- losing $1M in revenue annually from here on out is a big hole-  

I am for a draw for OTC if they would allow one to draw two tags but kill one deer (similar like javi) and then cap the NR at 10%- or something of the sort. The current structure is obsolete. 

50 minutes ago, Redman said:

There was a special raffle because there was a need for more money- losing $1M in revenue annually from here on out is a big hole-  

Yes, that’s what I said.  It was a test balloon and proved to be successful. So much so, they added two more species and 17 more tags. They will use Commission Order 30 to help with any revenue shortfalls. Look for these limited entry raffles to continue.

As they stated very bluntly: The objective is to generate revenue in order to maintain current operations and limit or eliminate the need to increase license and hunt permit-tag fees.

A lot of guys kill deer during the general and then bowhunt January.  Since they start the cycle in August I wonder if that is going to shut that down?

I got an email today from the Dept in response to a question I had about NR's. They are not allowed to restrict NRs on the OTC hunts but was working to get legislative approval that would allow that.

Hello,

Currently, AZ statute does not allow the Department to restrict nonresident participation during hunts with tags that are offered over-the-counter. How, during the current AZ legislative process, the Department is pursuing changes that will allow us to do so. The bill has not yet been approved by both the House and Senate.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, creed said:

A lot of guys kill deer during the general and then bowhunt January.  Since they start the cycle in August I wonder if that is going to shut that down?

I got an email today from the Dept in response to a question I had about NR's. They are not allowed to restrict NRs on the OTC hunts but was working to get legislative approval that would allow that.

Hello,

Currently, AZ statute does not allow the Department to restrict nonresident participation during hunts with tags that are offered over-the-counter. How, during the current AZ legislative process, the Department is pursuing changes that will allow us to do so. The bill has not yet been approved by both the House and Senate.

I wonder how the department will put a 10% cap on an OTC tag? They have no idea what 10% is going to be.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 654321 said:

I wonder how the department will put a 10% cap on an OTC tag? They have no idea what 10% is going to be.  

They could use the previous years total as a starting point, just like NV does.  Each year, they could base the allowable NR amount on the previous year's resident total.  As I read it, 10% will not be a quota but a NTE amount, just like bull elk, etc.  

On 4/3/2022 at 5:17 AM, yotebuster said:

I find it funny how guys on hunting threads are constantly complaining about how the state is “all about the money” and all they care about is selling tags until the do something about it, then the sky is falling.  

How much money did that new raffle of the 6 tags or whatever it was raise 

On 4/3/2022 at 7:26 PM, Newbie2012 said:

Yes, that’s what I said.  It was a test balloon and proved to be successful. So much so, they added two more species and 17 more tags. They will use Commission Order 30 to help with any revenue shortfalls. Look for these limited entry raffles to continue.

As they stated very bluntly: The objective is to generate revenue in order to maintain current operations and limit or eliminate the need to increase license and hunt permit-tag fees.

This.

17 minutes ago, forepaw said:

They could use the previous years total as a starting point, just like NV does.  Each year, they could base the allowable NR amount on the previous year's resident total.  As I read it, 10% will not be a quota but a NTE amount, just like bull elk, etc.  

Last years totals of what? 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Last years totals of what? 

Previous year's issued tags.  Look at the NV regs.  That is the basis for # of tags for the following year.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, rkv09 said:

Last page has the proposed limited entry hunt, one tag for multiple units and extended dates. Just like they did last fall but with more species and tags. 

There is two hunts in August for coues. 

Just another money grab but a fool and his money are soon departed and I am an idiot. 😂

They have to make up for the loss revenue for cutting tags.

6 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Way to much!

4 hours ago, forepaw said:

Previous year's issued tags.  Look at the NV regs.  That is the basis for # of tags for the following year.

So let’s say the department sold 25,000 OTC tags last year. So now they cap NR at  2500 that doesn’t mean those 2500 NR won’t exceed the 10% threshold for number of deer to be taken. Unit 8 is a total of 15 MD, heck one truck load of Utards could reach that in one weekend.  All the other species short of cow elk and javelina are 10% cap per a hunt number.

7 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

It was never published, other than total applicants(22,000), not total applications. But we can do some math to get an “estimate”. ****This is pure speculation and guessing. I can’t back up my numbers without knowing how many total applications were submitted, not applicants.*****   But we can at least get an idea what the POTENTIAL revenue is with these limited entry tags if they use them like last time as a raffle. Soooooo…

22,000 applicants. 6 total tags. $13 application fee for EACH tag

If everyone only applied for 1 tag we get: 22,000 x $13= $286K 

Lets say the average was 3 applied tags per applicant: 22,000 x $39= $858K

Lets assume all applicants applied for all 6 tags(highly unlikely): 22,000 x $78= $1.7M

This is a rough estimate(guess)because we don’t really know how many tags each applicant applied for. Plus Non-residents paid $15 for their app fee. About the only number that might be close is the $286K, which represents the 22,000 applicants with at least one application. 

Kaibab and Strip hunts took some hits. Got a better chance hitting the lottery. Still got shed hunting, or unless they follow Utah on that.

• Like 1

this are the guidelines for this fall and next year and usually those are the regs, but doesn't say anything about mandatory reporting.

some units have a very low threshold but the southern units a lot higher, 36B 230 and 34A 185, everybody is going south.

https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/AZ-Hunt-Guidelines-2018-2023_7-26-2019.pdf