Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Calibers for next years youth gun giveaway?

Calibers for the next youth gun giveaway?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What calibers would you like to see?

• 30-06
    • 6.5 creedmoor
    • 7-08

I was wondering when the 6.5 creed would get a recommendation.Good for deer and elk and soft on the shoulder for sure .But the 7-08 loaded with barnes 140-150 ttsx or tsx hit elk and deer hard.

I wouldn't make it as THE but it is a fair recommendation. Lots of factory ammo and reduced recoil options in addition to this.

3 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

I was wondering when the 6.5 creed would get a recommendation.Good for deer and elk and soft on the shoulder for sure .But the 7-08 loaded with barnes 140-150 ttsx or tsx hit elk and deer hard.

I think a dedicated youth gun gets the 7mm-08 nod from me. Hands down 243 Win if it was deer only.

• Like 1

Just some thoughts from someone is NOT a resident ballistic expert -

Re: 308 Win.

Energy isn't a problem until past 500 yards and it is my opinion kids shouldn't be shotting that far anyway.

The extra velocity in the 7mm-08 could assist with a single 250 yard zero, less drop between ballistic dots, or less turret movement overall.

Even if only slightly, 7mm-08 has less recoil and there are lots of reduced recoil load options.

I also like the BC of the .284 for the bullets I would use.

For anyone willing to help fund the next giveaway gun any donations will be greatly appreciated.As a working man with a wife and daughter it gets hard to explain the money I put into the two guns I've donated but when you see the absolute thankfulness and appreciation that these kids show its worth every penny.

• Like 2

I've got a .308,30.06 and  I just picked up a 7mm.08 . I'm looking forward to making it my go to rifle.

As far as .308. I ve always had perfect performance. 

260, 6.5, 7mm-08,  270. 7x57. You can get almost exact same ballistics , by simply changing up bullet sizes. As far as youth and possible recoil. I'd say ,all the above.  

Drop names in a hat and go from there.

With ammo as an issue,  I'd give the .308 option  first choice.  

• Like 1

I do think 260 rem would be a good choice. Might be a little light for Elk though. Seems like you can find ammo easier for it than most though

• Like 1

My go to rifle is a 7mm-08, I decided not to buy in on the 6.5 Creed craze. But I love that caliber. Its been so good, I bought a youth model for my kids. 

I have a Ruger American. Decent rifle. For the money a savage axis is hard to beat. I have an earlier model in .308 and it is an absolute tack driver. Have it loaded up with nosler 168 ballistic tips. Plenty of knockdown power for youth ranges. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

I wouldn’t say good for elk… i like classic. 270 or 308 here. 

• Like 2

All of the calibers mentioned will work for the intended purposes.

One thing the .308 Winchester has going for it is the availability of ammunition in a retail environment. Most of the retailers I have visited in my area have seen some stock of .308 Winchester arrive for their shelves. Mostly the Winchester "Deer Season" loading and blue box Federal.

While no one plans to forget their ammo for a hunt, or run short on a hunt, if it happens, .308 Win ammo is a cartridge likely to be found at a retailer. Now, the same can be said for the .270 Win and the .30-06 Gov't, but those rifies tend to be a bit heavier and longer than alot of kids can handle, one of the reasons the short action cartridges are preferred by many for starting off new hunters. 

I started my kids with a Remington Model 7 in .308 Winchester. Loaded up 125 gr bullets for practice and reasonable range deer hunting. Loaded or bought 165 grain premium bullet loadings for elk hunting. It worked out well for both of them. 

Well done to you for providing a rifle for a deserving youngster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Coues79 said:

We have the Ruger American Go Wild in several calibers. They have all been extremely accurate rifles with the correct load. 

I can attest to this.... both of my kids first rifles and they shoots surprisingly good.