Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Deer/Sheep Regs

1 hour ago, dustin25 said:

What exactly is wrong with killing a buck to meat in the freezer?

Yup, The main reason I hunt. Could care less about antlers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Couescrazy33 said:

Yup, The main reason I hunt. Could care less about antlers.

Can I like both?  Or does that not make a cool enough statement?

• Like 2

Geez….never said there was anything wrong with filling the freezer, just made a suggestion that would, likely, over a couple of years, help increase the number of deer and the size of animal harvested-bigger antlers and more meat. I’ve been enjoying slim Jim’s, summer sausage and green chili breakfast sausage from the forky I shot last year, but the 30lbs or so of meat I got from him becomes real expensive when you consider all the costs that go into a hunt. Unless you live close to your hunting area and process your own meat, it’s much cheaper to just fill the freezer from Costco. Not as satisfying, but cheaper. 
I hunt because I enjoy the entire hunting experience- time at the range, waiting for the draw results hoping I hit the lottery, new gear, old gear, driving to my spot, solitude of a solo hunt, memories of previous hunts (especially with my Dad, who can’t get out much anymore, but still calls me ever day I’m out there 15 min after sundown to see how the day went), hiking, glassing and hopefully getting the chance to pull the trigger or squeeze my release and put something on the wall AND in the freezer. If the consequence of shooting a deer  is sitting out the next season, I’d be sure it’s worth it, and let a smaller buck walk. I’d guess that  a pretty good number of hunters would do the same thing. If a hunter puts in the time, effort and financial investment to put themselves in a position to legally harvest an animal, they are responsible to decide what they are willing to put their tag on. Just be sure you really want it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

Can I like both?  Or does that not make a cool enough statement?

Of course. I would love to shoot a 100 inch buck one day. But the first decent body buck will always die.

I would love to shoot a huge bull elk.. but cow elk taste better and fill the freezer the same.

• Like 3

Sorry, I wasn’t attacking you. Unfortunately I think involuntary years between tags probably isn’t far down the road from draw odds alone. And it’s a shame. We’ve already seen the beginning of the end of our beloved archery deer seasons too. Very, very unfortunate 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dustin25 said:

What exactly is wrong with killing a buck to meat in the freezer?

I think what’s wrong with it is that you can’t post it on social media and tag a million people to show them that you killed a 4 point ?? Hunting cuz you like it isn’t cool anymore, you gotta kill something big I think 🤔 

2 hours ago, dustin25 said:

Sorry, I wasn’t attacking you. Unfortunately I think involuntary years between tags probably isn’t far down the road from draw odds alone. And it’s a shame. We’ve already seen the beginning of the end of our beloved archery deer seasons too. Very, very unfortunate 

Is been done. In the 70’s if you drew an elk or antelope tag , you had to wait THREE years to re apply.  Didn’t help much and it was scrapped.

Mule Deer wasn’t on the program then, but it’s more critical than elk in my book these days.  Im surprised antelope hasn’t been added to the one in a lifetime bracket like bighorn and bison.   Bison tags seem easier to draw . We really need an end to the drought conditions, and about five years of healthy fawn recruitment to get back  to what we once had.

• Like 2

I think everyone is looking at this with doom and gloom and failing to look at some of the new hunting opportunities that have opened up. I live in east Flagstaff and have been shafted as far as December and January deer. I have at least an hour drive to 6a, 8, or 10. Now all of a sudden 7 and 5bn have late hunts. Something I have never seen in my lifetime. I'm sure some years the quota will be reached early but even if 1 out of 5 years they don't there will be some awesome hunting in units that have never been available before.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nateNAU said:

I think everyone is looking at this with doom and gloom and failing to look at some of the new hunting opportunities that have opened up. I live in east Flagstaff and have been shafted as far as December and January deer. I have at least an hour drive to 6a, 8, or 10. Now all of a sudden 7 and 5bn have late hunts. Something I have never seen in my lifetime. I'm sure some years the quota will be reached early but even if 1 out of 5 years they don't there will be some awesome hunting in units that have never been available before.

Nice, we’ll all be sure to head there when the other units are killed out. 

7 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Nice, we’ll all be sure to head there when the other units are killed out. 

You should. I would pick  5bn over any unit south of the ditch. 

bobbymacias121109-1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Great Buck! 1
  • Wow! 2

30 minutes ago, nateNAU said:

You should. I would pick  5bn over any unit south of the ditch. 

bobbymacias121109-1.jpg

I remember when that was killed. It was on the azgfd website with the unit if I remember right 

8 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I remember when that was killed. It was on the azgfd website with the unit if I remember right 

Ya. I think it was a funny story. It's a friend of a friend so take that what it's worth but the guy had a deer tag in hand but stopped to cut firewood. As he was using a chain saw, the deer walked out across a field and he walked back to his truck, grabbed his rifle and shot it. You never see good bucks in 5bn outside of the rut. I spend a ton of time in that unit and when I run a trapline in dec and Jan is the only time the monsters come out. Within 100 miles of Flagstaff, 5bn is the only unit in my opinion that you could have a solid chance at a 200" deer.

36 minutes ago, nateNAU said:

Ya. I think it was a funny story. It's a friend of a friend so take that what it's worth but the guy had a deer tag in hand but stopped to cut firewood. As he was using a chain saw, the deer walked out across a field and he walked back to his truck, grabbed his rifle and shot it. You never see good bucks in 5bn outside of the rut. I spend a ton of time in that unit and when I run a trapline in dec and Jan is the only time the monsters come out. Within 100 miles of Flagstaff, 5bn is the only unit in my opinion that you could have a solid chance at a 200" deer.

Man that’s probably true, but I’ve seen some studs in unit 8 before. Idk about  200” but high 100’s for sure