Hoss50

7mm-08 Who Shoots It?

I just ordered a rifle for my son in 7mm-08. It is a ruger american with 1:8.5 Twist. 

Who is shooting it and what bullets are you favoring? 

What powders seem to work best? 

Thanks

Harley 

I am very fond of that particular chambering.

At the moment, I load for 5 different rifles chambered in 7-08.  

I have had excellent results with Varget and 120-130gr bullets

I like Reloader 17 for 140-162 gr bullets.

I hunt with 120 gr Nosler BTs over a stiff charge of Varget.  3100 FPS and very accurate.

• Like 1

I am thinking like 130-140gr mono's like a TTSX or Hammer. Maybe a partirion. Sometime tough in case he misses the boiler room and hit shoulders or something. 

I have a pound of Varget that I bought for a rainy day so maybe I will start there since I don't really have many powders in the burn area that this round seems to like. 

11 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Oh man.  Where is he when you need him!!

Lark is gone with the wind.

• Like 1

I've had success with 140 Accubonds and 120 ballistic tips over IMR4350 and some success with H4350. I havnt found a recipe my gun likes with ELDXs or ELDMs yet.

7 hours ago, zackcarp said:

I've had success with 140 Accubonds and 120 ballistic tips over IMR4350 and some success with H4350. I havnt found a recipe my gun likes with ELDXs or ELDMs yet.

I found a box of 150gr ELDX and 168gr Berger HVLD in my stash today, but I think the Bergers are to heavy for the small case. I will probably try some ELDX just for fun though. 

THey'll work. You just won't push them very fast. I shot 168 HPBT Match Sierras for years in my Silhouette rifle and probably still have a few boxes of them. They knock a steel Ram down at 500 Meters just fine but Varget is too fast.

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

THey'll work. You just won't push them very fast. I shot 168 HPBT Match Sierras for years in my Silhouette rifle and probably still have a few boxes of them. They knock a steel Ram down at 500 Meters just fine but Varget is too fast.

I have more slower powders than faster ones. I am thinking lighter bullets might help with less recoil though. I am going to try a few different things and see what I can find in stock. Bullet wise and see what will shoot with the powders I have around. 

I have some H4350 so I might give that a run with some heavier bullets. 

My daughters ruger American compact shoots the reduced recoil hornady ammo very well

I have the same rifle in the GO WILD version with a muzzle brake and put it in a Magpul stock. It shoots 3/4" with this load. RP brass / Fed 210 / 46.1 gr H-4350 / 150 gr ELD-x. This bullet is 2.925 to the lands but that won't come close to fitting in the mag box. Mine are loaded at 2.866. It doesn't shoot tiny groups but shoots the same all the time. Love the rifle. 

Hope this helps you find your way. 

On 5/21/2022 at 8:30 PM, yotebuster said:

Oh man.  Where is he when you need him!!

The devil you say...

My wife's Tikka shoots the cheap Hornady stuff really well. Haven't tried much else to be honest. It has been extremely difficult for me to find any 7mm-08 online or locally. Have a ton of .270 to trade if anybody is willing to do a swap.