Sign in to follow this  
Neverdrawn37A

6A early archery bull timing

Drew the early archery 6A bull tag this year and I know there could be 700 other hunters plus all their helpers, spotters, etc.  So my question is, if you had this tag and couldn't hunt the entire season (sept. 9-22), would you rush up there and make sure to hunt opening day on the 9th or is it better to wait and hunt the second week/weekend.  I'll have about 5 days total to hunt it and would like to avoid other hunters as much as possible but don't know how critical the opening first few days are.  

Back in Virginia where I grew up, you never missed opening day of deer season.  It was normally consider the best day of the deer hunt before all the hunting pressure makes the bucks disappear.  Is it similar with early archery elk or maybe it is better to wait and hunt the 2nd week and have less pressure out there/quieter.  

Thanks for any feedback!

If you only have 5 days to hunt and they are going to be consecutive days, my advice is hunt the last 5 days.  Hunted it many times and the crowds clear out by the 2nd Sunday of the hunt.  It will be a zoo opening weekend. 

If you are going to split them up, hunt the first two days and the last 3 days.

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, twigsnapper said:

If you only have 5 days to hunt and they are going to be consecutive days, my advice is hunt the last 5 days.  Hunted it many times and the crowds clear out by the 2nd Sunday of the hunt.  It will be a zoo opening weekend. 

If you are going to split them up, hunt the first two days and the last 3 days.

I agree…plus toward the end the rutting activity is usually better. Depends on the year and lots of factors, but the 2nd week is usually better. 

• Like 1

Don't over think it...Hunting is hunting, but you will be closer to the Fall Equinox the last week with a little better moon to boot...😉

I would do the last 5 days of the hunt. Better Hunting because the rut is more at full swing. Less People toward the end of the hunt. Full moon is on the 10th of Sept.

I have found Hunting at full moon is a little tougher hunt. I have found the animals a little more nocturnal towards the full moon. Just My two Cents.  

Regardless of when you go, I wish you good Luck and U have a great Hunt. Hope you bring back some meat for the Barby.

542545608_barbecue1.gif.bfce89c54963e1a8abcf8c6fd865f45f.gif

I’m not sure of your elk hunting experience but pick 5 days during the week with the smallest moon  

Don’t get caught up on moon phase. The dates are the dates. You can’t change that. Hunt when you can and hunt hard. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback on this I really appreciate it.  I was leaning towards going at the end of the hunt and what was said here reinforces that.... but at the same time, I don't want to over think it either.  If I didn't have a job, wife, kids etc. would be out there the whole hunt but maybe I can sneak in an extra day or two.  My plan is to get as far from roads and other hunters/quads/razors, weekend campers/hikers etc.  as possible.  Hearing quads go by every hour really kills my motivation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

I don’t know how anyone could stay home for the first 9 days of a archery bull hunt.

If you were a school teacher you would understand.  

19 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

If the elk have been dropping their calves the past two weeks, that would indicate that the breeding/peak of the rut was around October 1.  http://www.cervidsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/ELK-Gestation-Table.pdf

I had a 6a antelope tag two years ago so I set out some cameras along some travel corridors where I had seen antelope in the past.  I learned a lot.  First thing I noticed was the antelope in the unit are very nomadic.   You go weeks without getting the same buck on camera.  I also learned they traveled a lot at night from 11:00 pm to 3:30 am.  The other thing I learned was only one calf elk showed up on any camera before June 12th.  I think the image was from June 3rd?  Beginning on June 12th and there after, newborn calves everywhere.  This wasn't just on one camera in a one area.  I had camera's from cedar flats north to Flagstaff.  I don't know if this is normal but it seems like once a few started calving they all started calving.  

• Like 1