Sign in to follow this  
bigbuckfever

Don't let your dog eat raisins!!

I got a call from the wife this morning telling me that the dog found the grandkids "snack bag" on the living room floor that had raisins and other treats and he had devoured them.  After a call to the vet, I had to leave my customers house mid paint job and get him into the emergency vet to induce vomiting.  Fortunately, they got at least 13 raisins out and he seems to be ok now.  Could have been fatal.  Some dogs are more vulnerable to bad effects than others but there is no way to tell.  Raisins can damage the dogs' kidneys and cause death.  I had not known this before, and I'm a pretty old dog myself.  Hope this can prevent someone else's dog from a bad situation (and a $570 vet bill)

• Like 3

And I had a 10 week or so Bassett fill her gullet with dirty 15 40 motor oil and she's almost a year old and fine. Never heard of the raisin thing. I'll keep that in mind.

• Haha 1

Ironically we had the same thing happen 2 days ago. Our grapes went bonkers this year and my wife was sitting on the sofa stripping them off the stems and 2-3 hit the floor. Danged dog was on them in no time. No luck getting her to throw them up. No way we’re running into town at 8 to ER when I’m up at 3 so we watched her and the next day she was feeling puny for sure but she’s good now. I too had no idea until my wife about had a meltdown about the dog sucking down those grapes!

Thx for the heads up. Onions are supposedly  bad on dogs too. I have one that would eat tofu if he thought it was human food 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

And I had a 10 week or so Bassett fill her gullet with dirty 15 40 motor oil and she's almost a year old and fine. Never heard of the raisin thing. I'll keep that in mind.

What on earth would make any critter lap up some motor oil? We had a dog eat a full coffee can of bacon grease once. 

3 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

What on earth would make any critter lap up some motor oil? We had a dog eat a full coffee can of bacon grease once. 

I have no idea, but I ended up with oil stains everywhere.😒

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I have no idea, but I ended up with oil stains everywhere.😒

Watch your dogs around oil.

Screenshot_20220721-183233.png

30 minutes ago, Sky Island junkie said:

They aren't very bright for the most part. Their desire to fill their stomach is driven by their nose.

Next time just feed some yellow mustard make sure you do it outside my Neigbor vet did it to my dog and he was with the empty stomach in like 10 seconds after that 

Glad your pooch is ok and good to know. You can by the stuff to make dogs puke on Amazon. I forget what all you are supposed to use. I think it's activated charcoal and maybe hydrogen peroxide but don't quote me on that 

Years ago the Lab ate a bag of Halloween chocolate candy off of the counter. 

Vet said pour some hydrogen peroxide down her throat and stand back! 

Came in handy years later when the Border Collie git into some d-con.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HorseHunter said:

Years ago the Lab ate a bag of Halloween chocolate candy off of the counter. 

Vet said pour some hydrogen peroxide down her throat and stand back! 

Came in handy years later when the Border Collie git into some d-con.  

Yup.  I dated a vet tech many years back.

This was her go to when she needed to induce vomiting in dogs.

She would use a larger (needleless) syringe and use that down the pipe.

Worked immediately.

• Like 1