Sign in to follow this  
CraigK

Leftover deer tags

3 hours ago, missedagain said:

I applied for the 33 muzzy tag but my portal hasn't changed.  Must have been a lot of applications for the few tags left. 

Same here.

10 hours ago, azcouesandelk said:

Sadly it’s true. I know of several instances that are ridiculous 

My brother and I had put in for muzzy antelope for about 6 years and I had never shot or owned a smoke pole.  I always figured I would buy one and it would be fun to learn about it.  I won a scoped muzzy at the elk banquet in 2005 or so and told my brother that night that I bet we get drawn now, and we did.  I was also able to pick up an any elk tag and hunt elk while I was hunting antelope.  G&F wanted the elk out of 2-b, and I was fortunate enough to tag one of each.  😍152473885_elkandantelopein2b.thumb.jpg.107369e682a74602c479197989764810.jpg

• Like 16

@bigbuckfever at least you had been planning for years and most likely did research and had an understanding of them.

I’m willing to bet the majority of people applying for the leftover muzzy tags had never thought about hunting with one or even shooting one until they applied. Also I’m willing to bet that there will be minimal practice with them before the hunt and people will be shooting much further than they should expecting them to act like a rifle 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, azcouesandelk said:

@bigbuckfever at least you had been planning for years and most likely did research and had an understanding of them.

I’m willing to bet the majority of people applying for the leftover muzzy tags had never thought about hunting with one or even shooting one until they applied. Also I’m willing to bet that there will be minimal practice with them before the hunt and people will be shooting much further than they should expecting them to act like a rifle 

Guilty. I’m just going to use my bow on the muzzy hunt

To me, half of the fun was learning how to load it, how far or close I needed to be, working up a good load with the right powder and sabots, having my possibles bag, seeing the flash, smelling the powder.  Good memories.  I might have to take it out in the next couple of weeks just to shoot it and play in the mountains.

• Like 1

I’d much rather see someone on a muzzy hunt without enough practice or with a borrowed gun than someone drawing an early bull tag then buying a bow and not practicing enough…

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bigbuckfever said:

To me, half of the fun was learning how to load it, how far or close I needed to be, working up a good load with the right powder and sabots, having my possibles bag, seeing the flash, smelling the powder.  Good memories.  I might have to take it out in the next couple of weeks just to shoot it and play in the mountains.

I’ve always thought this too…I had a lot of fun shooting them when I was a teenager. Heck I’d still like to buy one of the Hawken kits and build one…one of these days. 

I had bought a muzzy in 2014 and had no real inspiration to start hunting with it .That year I had decided the time to put in for archery kibab was upon me and with 11 points. going into the draw I figured I'd get a tag.My buddy talked me into the elk muzzy draw .I had no plans to hunt.I was lucky and drew bolth tags .I hit a deer that year and we never found it.I had some time with the muzzy and was good to 150 and on opening day scored.Muzzys are different and take some time .I now have 5 Muzzys scoped and iron sights .

0122181249.jpg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I’d much rather see someone on a muzzy hunt without enough practice or with a borrowed gun than someone drawing an early bull tag then buying a bow and not practicing enough…

Going into a hunt unprepared with a bow, muzzleloader or a rifle is no different. Shouldn’t matter if it’s an elk hunt or a deer hunt. Just as good of odds of wounding an animal

#deerlivesmatter

Christian, you're pretty high on your soap box on this topic bud.

I had a muzzy 33 tag last year, shot the gun exactly once before dropping my buck at 350 with it. It was awesome. 

• Like 3

I just started this year. My wife is the one that actually got us going. She drew a HAM tag and needed something to use on that hunt so she borrowed a muzzleloader. A few months later I saw a great deal on one at the store when I was buying dogfood. Same model as the one she borrowed with the scope and case. Came out with the gun. Finally got a hold of some 209 primers so we can shoot it now. Now I want to say that one is hers and buy my own gun, LOL.

Good Luck to all you guys who got drawn or still trying.

2 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I had a muzzy 33 tag last year, shot the gun exactly once before dropping my buck at 350 with it. It was awesome. 

That’s the point I was making, and maybe I didn’t make it very well…I’d be comfortable borrowing a rifle or muzzy or buying a new one and sighting it in…shooting a couple times before the hunt. And no I’m not saying that I think shooting a muzzy is the same as a rifle Not the same with archery…

3 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

What gun were you using?

27 minutes ago, dsotm said:

What gun were you using?

One that belonged to my buddy that I was hunting with. A very high end one. It was awesome!