Markleo21377

Max’s Bull of a Lifetime

I've enjoyed all of your stories and photos here in the youth hunter section. I've shown them to my 11 year old son too.

I'm curious as to what ML rifle and load he was using, if you don't mind answering?  Because I put my 11 year old

(currently 95 lbs) in for ML deer hunt this year. But that's the only hunting rifle he doesn't have yet. 

He got drawn for rifle deer and elk instead though, so we do have some time yet. Just curious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

I've enjoyed all of your stories and photos here in the youth hunter section. I've shown them to my 11 year old son too.

I'm curious as to what ML rifle and load he was using, if you don't mind answering?  Because I put my 11 year old

(currently 95 lbs) in for ML deer hunt this year. But that's the only hunting rifle he doesn't have yet. 

He got drawn for rifle deer and elk instead though, so we do have some time yet. Just curious.

I have a Vortex strike fire made by traditions. We were using 80 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 with 250 grain Hornady SST’s. It is about 10 years old and shoots pretty good but no where close to some of the new ones. 

It groups about 3” at 100 yards and 6” at 200. That’s pretty much our max range with it. Recoil is a bit stiff but my boy is about 100 lbs and doesn’t mind it. He says it feels like his 20 gauge with 3” turkey loads. Good luck on your boys hunts this fall!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cjl2010 said:

Great bull and great father son moment.

awaiting measurements that come to 370-380”.

The measurements we did grab. beams were 49” and 50”. Inside spread 42”. 13 tine measurements totaling 168”. This was 309” without 8 mass measurements. Mass appeared to be 60-63” but may be a touch less so I may be a little on high side.

• Thanks 1

Scores/ smores….. that bull is big and totally cool with the kickers and extras.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

Anarchy outdoors makes a muzzle break you could add to your muzzy and they do work.I put one on my paramount pro and it shoots 115 gr of blackhorn .It took the recoil down quite a bit.It might work for you with your son.

• Like 1

Congrats to your son!  Crazy that the bull came in quiet and you guys were able to put the smack down on him!

That is a STUD bull.  I love all the character from the kicker, to the inline, to the cool forked brow tine.  Way to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markleo21377 said:

The measurements we did grab. beams were 49” and 50”. Inside spread 42”. 13 tine measurements totaling 168”. This was 309” without 8 mass measurements. Mass appeared to be 60-63” but may be a touch less so I may be a little on high side.

Great bull

What an amazing bull! Good for him... he will never forget this hunt :)

• Like 1

What a stud first bull!!! That’s a amazing experience for you both! Congratulations to your young man and to you for passing on these important self sufficient skills . 

• Like 1

Congrats to Max and yourself!! You two will have many more great memories afield after you got him addicted hahaha Keep up the good work

• Like 1