Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

Unsuccessful hunter in 22S in 2022?

54 minutes ago, bojangles said:

What does that even mean?  How would a guy know which “tag” got put in the 20% alottment, so he could make his decision? 

You don't.  You just assume it's the same few units that have a 0.0 chance of drawing unless you are max

• Like 1

Units with 2+ tags that didn't go to max BP holders in the BP report last year are your best chance. 

Not sure if the OP’s question ever got fully answered on here but if you listen to Jay Scott’s podcast with Brian Rimsza he talks about the 22 hunt falling off a bit the last few years. He was with the guy that shot the one sheep that got killed and he said it was a grind, and didn’t even go BC. Still a great sheep and a lotta guys with max are probably still gonna put in for it but if I had max, and I think Jay said the same, I’d be looking at 24B or 37A. Or one of the Rocky hunts since they’re just so tough to draw and expensive if you go to Canada. 

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

I can’t wait till I’m so made it that I can call hunting from a boat a grind. 

Ain’t that the truth. You know the Cabeza grind. Rimza knows his sheep but him and his crew left early the year your dad had the tag. It got really tough and left our camp 2 days earlier than scheduled because it wasn’t working out. Ended up killing a class 4 ram on day 30. Hunter was there 27 out of the 31 days. He put over 220 miles on foot. Was a tough year for the unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWpredator said:

Ain’t that the truth. You know the Cabeza grind. Rimza knows his sheep but him and his crew left early the year your dad had the tag. It got really tough and left our camp 2 days earlier than scheduled because it wasn’t working out. Ended up killing a class 4 ram on day 30. Hunter was there 27 out of the 31 days. He put over 220 miles on foot. Was a tough year for the unit.

That’s grinding. 

14 hours ago, bojangles said:

What does that even mean?  How would a guy know which “tag” got put in the 20% alottment, so he could make his decision? 

They group all tags together 20 percent goes to the max point people 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 2:00 PM, bojangles said:

In everything but sheep and bison it's the 20% per hunt code that goes to bonus pass. Sheep and bison its simply 20% goes to the bonus pass for all tags together. So there's no way of knowing for sure year to year if your choice is going to get snagged in the bonus pass but there's 4-5 units that are pretty much a guarantee every year and need to avoid them if you don't have max. 

I'm sitting on max points and until i understood the draw i wasted a lot of years trying to draw 22🤷

23 minutes ago, catclaw said:

I'm sitting on max points and until i understood the draw i wasted a lot of years trying to draw 22🤷

What hunt did you apply for big dog 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, catclaw said:

Glad you figured it out but this right here is what gives anyone else a chance of drawing. SOOO many people applying for units they have no chance at and basically not being in the draw. Used to be a lot worse before Jay Scott told everyone what units to put in for.

• Like 1