87lc

Its official, I have a sheep tag - 45C

Last week, I figured I didn't get drawn so after a few days I decided to check my credit card. There was a hit for $300. I literally sat there for a few minutes in disbelief....oh...oh....as I frantically search for the regs to check pricing to confirm. Sure enough its a sheep tag. Then all the talk about cc hits being taken away, add that which unit I got.  I didn't dwell on it too much(as if I couldn't), started to tell some people that I may have a sheep tag.  I just logged on my portal, sure enough. My first choice was 45c, Kofa National Wildlife refuge. I have tag #4 for the December hunt. 

I have always assumed it would take forever to get drawn, for the first 10 years or so I probably put in for 22 and 24b, until I realized that was never going to happen in my lifetime. So I would listen to various podcasts and randomly put in for units. This year I put in for Kofa due to the tag number, I figured it would help my odds. I had 19 bonus points. But still thought it wouldn't happen till I had 25-30 bonus points. 

I am at a loss of words, I am very excited but already feel overwhelmed and unprepared.  My first thought was to post here to start getting some feedback.  I'll go get some maps this week. I did a search on hike az for hikes, there actually doesn't seem to be too many hikes. At least at first searching. 

So...How should I prepare?

I feel like I have a good base of equipment, I have been hunting coues deer for most of my adult life. So I have 15 binos, 10 binos, but no spotting scope. Should I look for one? I have a good hunting backpack.

I'll increase my exercising, good benefit of this is I need to lose 20 plus pounds. 

Very soon i'll need to actually start to head to the unit and see it. 

I read somewhere where someone said to contact the Bighorn society.

I will take all the advice and help I can.

I don't want to make anyone hate me....but my wife got drawn for late bull in 3C this year. Our plan is to give it to my 13 year old. That hunt runs from 12-1 to 12-7, then my sheep hunt from 12-8 to 12-31. Hopefully work understands!

Added a picture of my boys deer

I am getting very excited!

image000003.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Love 1

Spotting scope and a phone scope are absolutely necessary.  Take a bunch of pics so you can sort out what is what.  Spend a bunch of time scouting.  I’d find someone with the early tag and horn in on their camp and hang with them.  Then have a ram picked that made it and roll him on opening day.  

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, I like the idea of helping a November hunter. Since this will be my only chance to take a sheep I should probably go with a guide.  Any recommendations? How do I know someone is reputable?  

I started my own Outfitting this year with 9 years experiece with sheep. Would love to have a conversation if youd like!

On 6/27/2023 at 7:58 PM, yotebuster said:

Spotting scope and a phone scope are absolutely necessary.  Take a bunch of pics so you can sort out what is what.  Spend a bunch of time scouting.  I’d find someone with the early tag and horn in on their camp and hang with them.  Then have a ram picked that made it and roll him on opening day.  

Lol

• Haha 1

For a guide contact Dave Daniels of Yuma. Hard core Sheep guy and took his own 175" ram in 45C. He guided me and a friend in 2015.

Bill

Big congrats! I hope to draw a tag before I die. It seems "help" comes out of the woodwork when you draw. I'm sure things will fall into place.

• Like 2

Congratulations Sr. I'll be busy that week otherwise I'll go and help you out.  Me like others, I hope to get drawn one day and the sooner the better. 28 years applying and still waiting...

Congrats again and best of lucks on your hunt.

Ernesto C

I wished i read your post earlier. I drew the early tag last year and killed the ram in my profile pic in 45c. I would love to hear how your hunt went and what you saw!!

Best of luck and if you have any questions, please reach out and i will gladly share my knowledge of the unit.

• Wow! 1